1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jesus Army.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

"Describing one "significant case", she said all of the men, by their failure to act, protected a convicted paedophile who had been allowed to continue in his role as an elder by Mr Stanton.

In spite of further complaints against the man, he "remained a risk within a community household until 2016 when social services threatened to take action".

The report recommended further investigations into a number of other areas, including sexual, spiritual and financial abuse, as well the "inappropriate punishment" of children."

They could just as well be describing the Jehovah's Witnesses. Exactly the same stuff goes on there - and in many other high control groups (cult-like organisations)

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

When I was in third year of art college, I lived with a girl who became involved in a religious cult. I'm not going to say she joined a cult, because nobody sets out to join a cult. She was very lonely and unhappy before she found this group, so she was prime fodder. Anyway - it was a christian group as far as I could tell at the time, and she was quite happy there for a while, but I didn't pay that much attention because I was young and self-absorbed. Then she decided she wasn't sure, and said to me she wanted to leave but she was nervous about telling them. I said I'd go with her for moral support, and we walked down Union Street in Aberdeen (the main street in the city) and came to the headquarters, which was on the top floor in one of the big buildings on the streeet. There was a small waiting area outside their office, and when three young women from the group came out to get her, surround her, and usher her inside, I was told to wait outside, and then they all laughed at me when I said I'd like to come in with my friend.
    Anyway, and hour or more later, I can't be sure, she came back out, surrounded by the same three girls and told me she'd decided to stay. I was surprised at the time (although with hindsight I should have seen it coming but I knew nothing about cults back then) and we went home.
    A few days later, she shaved all her hair off, and for the rest of the college year she retreated into herself, and wouldn't mix with me and the other girls in the flat, unless it was to tell us we were all going to hell. It was so sad. She had a twin sister who knew what was happening. I'd love to know what she (my old flatmate) is doing now. I hope she's happy.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Back in the 70s a school mate's sister got sucked into one of these cults. In the end the family hired someone to 'kidnap' her and bring her home where they kept her under house arrecst for weeks until eventually she stayed of her own accord.

5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I was at uni in Aberdeen.

coffeekid likes this.
  6. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

. This happened to a girl at my school - well it was rumoured that it had. She was in the year above me. There were a couple of girls in my year who were involved with the Jesus Army when we were in the 6th form.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We have the Caleb Foundation within some political circles.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Over here we have the Caleb Foundation within some political circles.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The first post disappeared and I thought undue sway was being exercised.

10. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I think she was taken by the Moony's

12. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I never got in.

13. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Wow! There's a family of JWs in the village and they seem fine; I talk to them and their kids and I think I'd pick up if there were something badly amiss. We also know one of their senior people who sometimes calls with one of his colleagues or sometimes his wife. I'm always happy to talk about belief systems and morality if I have time and occasionally they have a cup of tea with us.

It seems clear that there will be individual JWs who are paedophiles - statistically that is almost certain - but that it is institutionalised widely in the way you say would surprise me.

Have you any evidence for that?

14. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Or do you mean Moonies?

15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

If you're interested, it's literally a Google search away. I've spent years reading up on and researching cults/high control groups, including the JWs. There are a huge number of of ex-JWs out there sharing their experiences online. It's not so much the individual child sex abusers I'm referring to, it's the institutionalised protection of said abusers which includes (along with a common policy in many JW communities of not contacting the police to report abuse) the Two Witness Rule. Feel free to research.

catbefriender likes this.
  16. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Even better!:)