1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jeremy Kyle Show

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, May 15, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Has been permanently binned - good

TCSC47, towncryer, les25paul and 10 others like this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I wish they would do the same for Mrs Brown's boys.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I wish Kyle himself was permanently binned.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Amazed it lasted as long as it did, gawping for entertainment at the chaotic lives of others.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Put a load of vulnerable people with dysfunctional families and chaotic lives up in a hotel and give them unlimited alcohol, What could possibly go wrong?

TCSC47, towncryer, les25paul and 6 others like this.
  6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Get rid of Love Island, TOWIE, and all of those cheap TV shows populated by wannabes. Plus Mrs Brown’s Boys.

TCSC47, towncryer, Jesmond12 and 9 others like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I could never watch shows like Kyle's - these people often have enough problems without having them aired on national television.

When I lived in the US - these sorts of shows were on all the time.

I was listening to something about the lack of support these people get after they have been on one of Kyle's shows - often they get abused in the street or assaulted which just adds to the misery they already have.

These shows are nasty exploitation and do some of the people who go on them really understand what they are doing ?

I daresay something else will take it's place - perhaps something a little less nasty.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I 've always hated reality TV shows - you would think people's appetite for these shows would decline but it appears not.

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Thank goodness. I've never understood how programmes like this are allowed, or why anyone would watch them for more than a few seconds.

TCSC47, towncryer, nomad and 3 others like this.
  10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've never seen it. And now I never will. :)

bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

When I've happened upon it as I've scrolled through?

I just wanted to adopt them all! I know it's judgemental and imposing my values but I wanted them all to have a chance to see things differently!

Instead I just rush past it and on to CBS Reality or an ancient episode of Midsomer Murders. I prefer to pretend everyone is as mild-mannered as my neighbours and close associates.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

They make the choice to take part ( for their 15 minutes of fame perhaps - who can work out their motivation - I for one can’t ). No sympathy.

theworm123 likes this.
  13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

... of course quick to jump on the bandwagon are people ‘ who were there ‘ and politicians labelling it as ‘ theatre of cruelty ‘ ... self seeking opportunists who are equally despicable

towncryer likes this.
  14. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I have the distinct impression that the intersection of "the audience for programmes like Kyle, TOWIE, Love Island, etc.," and "contributors to the TES forums" is pretty close to the empty set.

15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Yep. Only young people tend to watch those programmes.

16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

One ex-army man was lured onto the show under the pretext of being united with his daughter (he had been divorced some years earlier and lost contact). The reality was verbal abuse from Kyle and audience about how he didn’t deserve to have children. (One older daughter and 2 younger sons). He said he would have killed himself afterwards if it had not been for his kids... he was later diagnosed with PTSD caused by army experiences. There was no ‘after show care’ as promised etc.

Shows like this take advantage of the vulnerable for the entertainment of the ignorant. It’s not always the participants who should be blamed so much as those who feed on their misfortune, and especially those who cynically exploit both audience and ‘guests’ for profit.

TCSC47, smoothnewt, towncryer and 2 others like this.
  17. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

They are the modern equivalent of the Victorian freak show- we are encouraged in to watch people's awful, chaotic lives so that we can feel smug that we are somehow better than that.

18. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Am I the only decent citizen prepared to shout out loud for that saint, a man more sinned against than sinning, who has stood in front of us all each day shouting loudly the cause for morality and truth. If it was not for Saint Kyle there would be no man prepared to stand proud in front of the detritus of society and say enough is enough.

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Poverty? No other forms of validation available? A free holiday - I know someone who works at a school where several families have taken part and this is how they see it. 15 minutes of fame indeed and no thought of the consequences.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

And the papers that are now printing the stories of others who have taken part and suffered from it - aren't they using these people in the same way? The victims are willing but still victims.

TCSC47, towncryer and dumpty like this.