1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Jeremy Corbyn's popularity sinks to all-time low due Labour's Brexit policy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Feb 1, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Jeremy Corbyn’s popularity is at an all-time low because voters believe he is “playing politics” with Brexit and can not be trusted.

The Labour leader’s approval rating, which reached its peak in mid-2017 after the general election, has been on the slide ever since, hit by his failure to set out a clear policy on Brexit, and by the anti-Semitism controversy which has dogged his party for years.

A poll by YouGov found that voters who had changed their minds about Mr Corbyn described him as weak, indecisive and out of touch.

His net approval rating reached zero in 2017 - meaning as many people favoured him as disliked him.

2. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

This is the polling company that always finds Labour 5 or 6 points behind in the polls when other polls have Labour in the lead. Maybe because of this.

upload_2019-2-2_15-10-16.png

I wouldn't put too much faith in polls if I were you.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I wasn't aware labour had a Brexit policy

4. towncryer

towncryer Occasional commenter

I dont understand at all what Jeremy Corbyn is doing.

Personally I find it very frustrating that the opposition doesn't seem to opposing anything very much. Corbyn keeps bleating about holding another general election but how can he seriously believe his party would have a chance after the way they have performed over the last two year?

I absolutely hate the Tories but I don't see anything in Labour at the moment that would persuade me to vote for them either. Perhaps the Labour party should think about replacing him. Yvette Cooper might be a good choice,

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The Labour policy of driving this country to the edge of a No Deal Brexit for their own political gain is one reason I won't Labour again.

Bad enough the Tories have driven it to the point of a Deal Brexit.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Lead commenter

I read that Corbyn has always been anti-EU. It is true that many Labour heartlands voted to leave, but the truth of the matter is that staying in the EU would be the best option for the economic future of the country as a whole, whereas leaving would be for the good of a few who have worked out a way to make money out of it. These hard-line Brexiteers are only about 40 MPs (Guardian recently) but seem to be driving the agenda, to the detriment of everything else. I have gone off Corbyn for his weak stance, and apparent "moral" stands. I would have said Andy Burnham would have been a good leader when it was up for grabs after the inefectual Millibland, but southerners don't like northerners. Article in the Guardian yesterday by Gary Younge about why the poorest voted for Brexit when it will make them poorer. I didn't agree with it necessarily, because I don't agree with the idea of a "liberal elite".

Burndenpark and phlogiston like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Throughout the whole of the wretched process there hasn't been two consecutive seconds where Corbyn has had any idea what he's doing.

Time to go - has been for some time.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sitting on the fence for two years not knowing which way to jump was never going to look good.

9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Despite the fearmongering over and the media campaigns about Corbyn, I genuinely think he gave real Labour the best chance in years of getting back into power - people who had lost faith in them and stopped voting, and young people who hadn't seen anyone to represent them previously, were suddenly joining or re-joining.

Then came Brexit. Not only the ambivalence of the labour party position, but the fact that discourse about real social issues has been drowned out in the row over brexit.

If that's a deliberate tactic on the part of the tories, it's been a very clever and very successful one.

ilovesooty and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He has as little control over his party as May has

Witness the defeat of the Cooper amendment last week.

towncryer likes this.
  11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Very consistently so. He voted leave in the 1975 European referendum, he opposed the creation of the EU in the Maastricht Treaty (speaking against it in parliament and at public meetings), he repeatedly voted against the Lisbon Treaty, he opposed the creation of the EU Diplomatic service and he broke the Labour whip in order to vote for the 2011 referendum on the UK's EU membership that never happened because it was defeated in parliament. He also opposed the creation of the EU’s European Stability Mechanism to bail out the Euro in that same year. He famously went on holiday at the height of the 2016 referendum campaign.

Burndenpark likes this.
  12. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Given Corbyn’s refusal to sanction 8 shadow cabinet ministers who abstained against the whip on the vote, I tend to agree. Or they did as he ordered them to.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I took part in a telephone poll last week on Brexit and I told the interviewer that I would love to vote Labour but cannot contemplate doing so whilst Corbyn is leader. Actually, "leader" is an inappropriate term in the context of Brexit as he does anything but lead, it would appear.

14. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Corbyn is marmite. The Tories don’t have a coherent Brexit policy to oppose as they are so divided and propped up by a massive bung to the DUP. Corbyn also has a divided party on Brexit so has to steer a tricky course to get a soft Brexit or a General Election. The Labour Leader has to carry put the wishes of the members.The Tory leader has to carry out the wishes of donors to the party and the far right ERG. I’d rather have a decent NHS, education, care and housing under Labour than a Singapore style low tax deregulated economy under the Tories.

15. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

I agree totally with that, so will continue to vote labour, with a pomander held firmly under my nose, for that reason only.

16. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

You're actually blaming Labour for what is first, second and last the fault of David Cameron, Theresa May and the Tory Party? I suppose it's nice to be given an excuse not to vote Labour I suppose.

Also, those people who claim they don't think Labour has a Brexit policy, try educating yourself - the policy was laid out clearly at the 2017 Party Conference and has been consistently advocated since.

17. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Like one should pay any heed to 'polls' arranged by Tory press and its barons.
    Unlike most I have seen Jeremy Corbyn in person and listened to him - as in no half baked/sliced up segments edited from what he is supposed to have said in the again.... TORY press; John McDonnell too.... nothing there that I didn't 100% agree with.

18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Occasional commenter

"It's about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table.

"The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA. Because of the bravery of the IRA and people like Bobby Sands, we now have a peace process."

sparklesparkle likes this.
  19. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

And meanwhile, under the Tories: No wonder there's industrial-scale deflection and distraction going on. 51140292_10155749748977035_2094087128517443584_n.jpg

20. Brunel

Brunel Established commenter

Regardless of personal views of Corbyn, there are a couple of issues developing that Labour will need to face.

The first is that Corbyn is no longer a new leader. This is his fourth year In charge of Labour and it’s inevitable that the ‘breath of fresh air’ label that attached to him will begin to go stale. That doesn’t mean that he won’t retain support from his many fans but his ability to attract new converts to Labour will inevitably diminish.

The second problem is that if the Tories get their act together (which it’s beginning to look as if they might) and manage to get a Brexit through which doesn’t wreck the country the next election may not take place until Corbyn has been leader for 7-8 years, by which time he will be 72/3 and the Vince Cable effect will be well underway.

So if things don’t go Labour’s way in the next few months it may be time to do some serious succession planning.