1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jeremy Corbyn ‘on course to be prime minister’

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Apr 14, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Three recent polls all show Tory support haemorrhaging to the new Brexit Party and UKIP, whereas ChangeUK is making next to no impression on Labour support. Hence an Election would be likely to usher in a Labour Government (albeit a Coalition/minority one), and Jeremy Corbyn would be Prime Minister.

Therefore I would urge people to brace themselves against veritable avalanches of anti-Semitism allegations; "new" revelations of meetings with Hamas, Hezbollah, the IRA, the Daleks, SMERSH and Lord Sauron; and revelations of financial and/or sexual impropriety, probably involving unlikely members of the animal kingdom.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I just personally do not like the man.Thats enough to vote against the party he leads,

BelleDuJour and Bedlam3 like this.
  3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

It’s all getting pretty desperate now.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

"... and/or sexual impropriety, probably involving unlikely members of the animal kingdom".[/QUOTE]

Bulldogs hopefully

Bentley89 likes this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

What, there's more?

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Well that went according to plan then, well done David Cameron, you failed to save your party AND divided the nation.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The divisions in the Tory Party over Europe began festering in a way that needed healing during the Thatcher era. All the Tories causing trouble for May, joined the party in her time in power and were infected by the failed ideology she is responsible for promoting.

Politics is littered with individuals clinging on to what helped them get where they now are without realising that the world moved on from what worked 30 years ago, but doesn't work now.

You only need to look at what caused James Callaghan's demise to understand that. His political career intitially came about through the support of the unions and for a long time his support in return, did him and the country a lot of good. He couldn't have predicted how the oil crisis would change things anymore than Cameron found the 2008 financial crisis, created as a consequence of Thatcher's policies would turn out to be toxic for him.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Happened under Labour after 11 years of Labour in office as a result of sub-prime mortgage lending in the USA and light touch banking regulation under Blair. Thatcher had been out of office for 18 years.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So some polls are now pro-Labour ... previously for nearly two months they were pro-Tory. And MAGA thinks this means Cornyn is near to being PM in an election that is two years away? Riiiiight....

Far more interesting is the context in which MAGA views the antisemitism charges. Telling...

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

To find political splits and turmoil over the European question, one could safely go back another 30 years and include every Post War prime minister, who have found Europe/Eu/Common Market issues a black hole that sucks political energy and rewards little. The UK is and always has been on split on the matter and no amount of voting or referenda will change that basic fact.

littlejackhorner and oldsomeman like this.
  11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

D51B56C4-1411-4AFA-B034-A8034E8BB8D7.jpeg

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I guess many people are sick of May and the Tories these days.

mothorchid and Bentley89 like this.
  13. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

A campaign might bring him out of hiding rather than leaving it to McDonnell.

andorian likes this.
  14. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Yes I regard them as being either utterly made up or wildly exaggerated by long-standing opponents of Corbyn. What's "telling" about that? It is extremely sad and angering that some people hate him and his politics so much that they will weaponize evil ideas in a desperate attempt to get political traction.

15. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

So why did he admit to Margaret Hodge that it was a problem that they were too slow to react to?

sparklesparkle likes this.
  16. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

You could argue most Tory voters or leave voters are using the ONLY chance they have to be (somewhat) heard now and telling the pollsters sure, Corbyn is my saviour - for no other reason than to kick the Tories into gear.

There is, as we all know with recent polling stats, a rather large difference between what you say you intend to do (especially when that intention can ruffle feathers) and what you actually do when in that ballot box.

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Would they be polls like the ones predicting remain at the referendum?

artboyusa and sparklesparkle like this.
  18. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

That is mainly because many people are rightfully ashamed to admit that they are voting Tory.

Of course the xenophobia and racism that has been systematically whipped up by the main stream media over the years has now come home to roost.

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I wonder 'if ' that tactic been used recently, maybe to try and overturn the referendum result;) no surely not???

20. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

But why? The Tories won the GE so I doubt it is shame, more anger and frustration.

I think quite a few do not admit to voting leave anymore just because they cannot be bothered with the abuse.

We need to be very wary of polls although yes, I do think Corbyn is in front at the moment. At the moment (now, no GE on way) is not what matters.

lexus300, Jesmond12 and peter12171 like this.