1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jeremy Clarkson on public sector strikes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Fiona L, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Jeremy Vine made it his number one topic atnoon (I'm retired, so listen regularly).
    JV is a disgrace to the BBC because he is incapable of controlling a debate - often he introduces his personal experiences and ideas and often lets the discussion wander: today it ended up with people slagging off Public Sector workers (as yesterday) instead of focussing on JCs comments.
    I watched the One Show last night - most unusual for me.
    Did I feel threatened by JB? No - the man is a buffoon.
    Did his comments upset me? No - the man is a buffoon.
    Do I expect anyone to take his comments seriously, dragging teachers out to be executed? No.
    Would a professional comedian be allowed to make comments like that, with other groups substituted for PS workers? No, especially not on prime-time TV.
    What should be done about it? Nothing in my opinion. JC knows about cars and makes humourous comments but no-one takes serious notice of them; when he talks out of the top of his head they'll take even less notice. "Storm in a teacup".
    Sadly I suspect this will drag on for months and his comments will keep being repeated.

2. Clarkson is a buffoon. Who does he think pays his wages?

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Sigh, how did it even make the news.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Clarkson is the man who single-handedly turned a generation off wearing blue denim jeans, and now languishes in re-run hell on Channel Dave. Ignore.

5. Clarkson is one ot the funniest men on tv. His problem is that he has alienated a lot of women who feel threatened by his forthrightedness.
    He is a man's man and spouts no more or no less ***** than most (if not all ) politicians except that his words are not couched in some form of pseudo bull *****.

6. Don't be daft. Unless by ' feel threatened' you mean 'finds tiresome'..

I wish people weren't getting so ragey about the whole thing. The guy's a blustering joke.

7. QED :¬))

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I rather like Clarkson!
    Yes, he's a bit of a ****, but he's far from alone in that!
    His remarks were perhaps not in the best taste, and may have been ill-considered...but that's Clarkson! If anyone is at fault then it's the BBC and the One Show! Did they honestly expect him to sit there and not have an opinion on anything and everyhting?

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Would anyone here like me to find some links so we can all watch people being executed in front of their families? Or how about Daniel Perle, his family saw that. Anyone?

Clarkson is out of touch with many people's reality.
    Not in front of the family

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Stuart Lee does a brilliant shaggy dog story where he completely takes Richard Hammond apart (different man but guilty by association in my book,) and then quietly adds - just a joke, it's just a joke.

11. You are kidding, right? Threatened? By Clarkson? By forthrightness? Me? Ha!
    He's a dick. Quite a lot of politicians are *****.
    I like men. I particularly like men who also think that Clarkson is a dick...quite a few do. [​IMG]

12. Well I don't....there goes another friendship.

13. lol
    There are men I like for other reasons.

14. Could it be my penchant for wearing jeans and a suit jacket ? :¬))

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It will be interesting to see whether JC, as friend of Cameron, gets the same treatment as Ross.

16. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

one of the funniest men on TV? the man's grotesque

17. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

She likes me [​IMG]

18. Was it the Tories who hounded Ross out of a job? I thought it was hysterical tabloid coverage...Clarkson can be a dick but so can we all and it quite clearly wasn't a serious comment.

19. I wonder what the response would be if people went on a "magazine style chat show" and said they hated Clarkson so much they wanted him shot in front of his family?

It may indeed have been a "joke" but over such a contentious issue it is beyond mere poor taste.
    Clarkson? An odious creature *shudders*