1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

jehovah's witnesses

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by clarenut, Nov 2, 2007.

1. help - I teach an early years special needs class, we usually spend most of December using Christmas as our topic this year I have 2 Jehovah's witnesses in my class ( only 8 in total)any ideas how I get around this -i am certainly not abandoning Christmas and I will adapt every activity to a winter one if possible but how am i going to cope with story time, concert prac etc etc they can't be taken out for everything as we don't have the staff to cover it

2. help - I teach an early years special needs class, we usually spend most of December using Christmas as our topic this year I have 2 Jehovah's witnesses in my class ( only 8 in total)any ideas how I get around this -i am certainly not abandoning Christmas and I will adapt every activity to a winter one if possible but how am i going to cope with story time, concert prac etc etc they can't be taken out for everything as we don't have the staff to cover it

3. Why are they there in the first place?

Don't associate with outsiders (non-Jehovah's Witnesses). You are too busy for that! Watchtower, 2/1/74, p.93.

Association with non-Jehovah's Witness kids should be limited to trying to convert them. Your Youth-Getting the Best Out of It. 1976, p. 65.

Remember, you are to have "no association" with non-Jehovah's Witness friends or relatives. If they are honest and moral, that still does not make any difference. Watchtower, 2/15/60, pp. 112-113.

Listen! "it is expected" that you will have no extra-curricular activities outside of the Watchtower. Such activity is a "danger" and "worldly". Organized to Accomplish Our Ministry 1983, p. 133.

To play sports with children that are not Jehovah's Witnesses is definitely "unwholesome"! School and Jehovah's Witnesses, 1983, p.23.

You are reminded that involvement in after-school sports tie you down, requiring you to spend evenings and weekends playing on a school team. You are expected to be at the lectures at the Kingdom Hall. "Any recreation you take outside of school should not be with worldly youths." Watchtower, 9/1/64, p.535.

Hobby clubs lead to immoral character and might keep you away from the Kingdom Hall. School and Jehovah's Witnesses, 1983, pp.24.25.

They become "worldly alliances". The Watchtower asks you, is it "wise to enjoy hobbies with worldly people?" And "would it be proper to share hobbies with worldlings?" Watchtower, 9/1/64, p.536.

Cheerleaders lead people into "frenzied cheering ... hero worship ... glorifying humans." School and Jehovah's Witnesses, 1983, pp.23-24. Never become a homecoming queen! This would 'set up womanhood upon a pedestal." Watchtower, 6/15/64, p.381.

Birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day and National Holidays are all condemned. School and Jehovah's Witnesses, 1983, pp. 17-21.

In fact, the month Of May of Mother's Day is understood to be named after Maia, a demon worshiped by the pagans. . . . "' (Awake 5/8/1956, p. 25)

Wedding rings have possible pagan origins." (WT 1/15/1972 p.63)

"We all need to face up to the fact that Christmas and its music are not from Jehovah, the God of truth. Then what is their source? ... Satan the Devil."(WT 12/15/1983, p. 7)

If they go against being a JW just by being there then why not stay in the class? You can't pick and choose which parts you follow...

4. pete14

pete14 New commenter

To answer 'shouldileaves' initial question, they are there because they are entitled to as good an education as any other child. Also of course, the are legally bound to be there as well. Clearly he/she has done a massive amount of research (I ask myself why?). Interestingly, it is all at least 20 years old.

In my experience, whilst Jehovah's Witnesses do not take part in Christmas celebrations (which in many cases are far removed from Christian origins), they mostly study RE and contribute positively to it and are generally polite, helpful and hard working. Whilst I am not personally a Jehovahs Witness and I do have issues with some of their beliefs and practices, to write a post similar to post 2 in this forum disappoints me when we are teachers who do more than many others to encourage tolerance and respect for all beliefs.

To answer OP, it would be a good idea to contact parents and ask for their advice about what is and is not acceptable.

5. Pete's got it - "shouldileave" is in serious danger of disappearing up his or her own backside there.

6. Pete has misunderstood whereas Paracelsus has simply been rude. Therefore this post is for Pete.

You say JW are 'entitled' to an education.

I never said anything different. What I did do was quote the Watchtower that clearly states that JW should not be attending school and mixing with non-JW...according to their own religion. Your post is like saying, 'Muslims are entitled to get drunk and eat bacon, just like anyone else'. Yes but their own religion forbids it.

Homeschooling means they are not legally bound and anyway God's law supersedes man's.

The research took less than 90 seconds - the wonder of Google.

http://letusreason.org/JW24.htm

So my point remains. Their own belief states clearly they should not be there. The fact that they are means no special arrangements have to be made as they clearly do not accept that part of their religion.

You cannot pick and choose and then expect non-believers to make special allowances for the bits you pick to follow.

7. deut

deut New commenter

I agree with Pete 14. In my experience JW parents really appreciate the teacher making the effort to contact them and talk through options. I have never had a JW student removed from RE.At KS4 they are often good at RS GCSE because they have so many Biblical quotes at their finger tips
    I make a big effort to include the persecution of JW's when I cover the Holocaust and to include the Kingdom Hall when we study holy buildings
    Lots of info here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/witnesses/

8. Yes but as according to their own religion they shouldn't even be there, there is no need to make special allowances.

9. Surely if jehovah's witnesses choose to stay in RE lessons and make a positive contribution it is only fair that teachers are sensitive to their needs? That is part of our job after all. The original thread was not talking about scrapping Christmas celebrations but showing a level of sensitivity and awareness to the beliefs of the children in their care, whatever their faith.

10. I echo the above. Speak to the parents.

None of the JW children I teach have been withdrawn and it's easy enough to provide alternative activities.

Houldileave you are sooooooo funny - I was in church last week and outrageously there were all of the congregation wearing mixed fibres. I bet most of them had mixed arden borders too. Outrageous.

11. Rude it may have been, but as you seem slavishly devoted to consistency, may I refer you to Emerson's comments?

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.

Nobody is going to get very far if you actually expect every religious believer to slavishly adhere to every jot and tittle of the law are they?

12. I don't know whether people are deliberately misunderstanding what I am saying or I am simply not making myself clear.

It is not what I expect. It is what the JW believe Jehovah expects!

Let me ask you an analogous question.

If I come to school with a bacon sandwich and also expect you to provide halal food in the canteen, would you? Given that you then see me eating the bacon sandwich and I have told you it is pork?

13. But do you not appreciate that there is a difference between what religious texts say, and what religious believers do?
    Hence Christians not bashing out babies brains, or the examples that Leviosa gave etc?
    People are inconsistent - that is the point that Emerson was trying to make - when religious believers are not inconsistent, that's when the **** hits the fan.

14. I agree they are inconsistent, yes. BUT there is no reason for non-believers to accommodate the 'bits they believe in' if they clearly do not believe it all.

What about my bacon question?

15. What about good manners? - are we really to tell all religious believers - "look, **** off, you're behaviour and beliefs are inconsistent, so we're not going to play"

16. deut

deut New commenter

I think it is important in RE to be inclusive and not exclusive. Most JW parents want to avoid causing trouble. They might well be offended by confrontation and be more inclined to withdraw their children. Sometimes being a JW for some people is about community and belonging, they do not want to be challenged about their beliefs in this confrontational manner.

17. Well said Paracelsus. I find Ishouldleave's attitude quite shocking and indeed worrying if they teach RE. Aren't we supposed to be promoting tolerance and understanding? RE is never straight down the line and I personally could never be so black and white about the religions or topics I teach.

18. I don't think that they have ever professed to teach RE from what I can gather they dabble in the social sciences forums mainly.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/19970222/article_01.htm

discusses children with learning disbilities IN school.

One thing baout religion/watching an accidnet/reading a book is that people see the smae thing but in differnet ways.

Btw the OP HASN'T said that the parents want their kid out or not involved etc which is the assumption that your arguments are based on. In fact as I stated earlier i have never had a JW child withdrawn from RE or form worship in my church school - I tned to find it's the atheists who want the good exam results and nice school that are more of a nuisance.

19. 2stripes

How is my post not promoting tolerance? I am showing that I have bothered to find out what JW believe.

Despite the general tone you (all) show towards my posts in this thread (why is it beyond people to be polite in forums?) you still haven't answered my 'bacon question'.

20. please point out which aspects of my comments are impolite.

finding out about JW beliefs is not the same as promoting tolerance.