1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jehovah's Witness Children and Christmas!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Milgod, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Possibly only my experience, but it is usually only JW children who don't take part. I have never had a Hindu or Muslim child not take part.

This is why any kind of religion in schools is a stupid idea though. Keep that sort of thing for the home. School is for learning.

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I also love how 'literacy activities' can't be enjoyable to you.

3. What is the point of a belief if you don't actually believe it and are happy to give it up as soon as a party, sweets, cake, a man in a red suit etc etc comes along. Maybe if these people are happy to join in with all these celebrations they are just paying lip service to there "faith".
    Belief in God, whoever you think he or she is is surely something very serious, why then would you want to join in with a celebration that you think is an utter falsehood just because it convenient to other people? It amazes me that on one hand we are telling our children to celebrate diversity and on the other hand expecting them all to join in with everyone elses celebrations even if we think they are a load of tosh just so they aren't "left out".

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I have to say, i've managed my JW child very poorly this year. It was fine with the nativity, but these last 2 weeks where the kids have been doing Xmas maths and Xmas poems and all that other stuff, i've found it REALLY hard to stay on top of producing other stuff for her. There have been times where she hasn't told me she's finished and has taken Christmas work and completed that as well! Plus she's been singing along to the Christmas songs and all sorts. It's been incredibly difficult to be honest, and I think she'd actually really like to celebrate Xmas, but her 'beliefs' won't allow her. (I put beliefs in ' ' because i'm not fully convinced it's what she believes to be honest.)

5. It is tricky I know, and I am sure her parents appreciate the effort you put in. [​IMG]
    She probably does want to join in just because everything around her is totally absorbed in Christmas, as you say even maths and poetry, so much more than it was when I was at school. I suppose it's a bit like me wanting to eat cake when everyone else is, even though I know all of the reasons I shouldn't, and sometimes I do give in!
    Children only really have the beliefs of their parents and until they are old enough to decide for themselves they have to go along with it. Much the same as children whose parents do celebrate christmas have to go along with that, they don't have a choice because that is what there family do so they have to fit in until they decide for themselves.