1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jeffrey Epstein

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spoofer4114, Jul 9, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah but if the Epstein conspiracy theories had centred on Russia... I suspect the NYT would have treated them a lot more seriously... maybe taken part in three years of endless campaigning, portraying every action as part of a grand narrative etc.

artboyusa likes this.
  2. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

My favourite part is how the Times finger-waggingly warns us, even while the FBI investigation is ongoing, against unfounded conspiracy theories.

FWIW my suspicion is that, yes, Epstein had plenty of reasons to kill himself and its 99% likely he did. But I also think there are plenty of people with plenty of reasons to try to help him do it by ensuring he had the means available and every possible opportunity to use them.

It reminds me of the Abe Reles case. Back in 1941 Reles was a Mafia hitman who turned government informant/witness to save himself from the electric chair. The NYPD had him in protective custody, under 24/7 guard at a hotel out on Coney Island. The night before he was due to testify against one of the top Mafia bosses in NY he managed to fall six storeys out the window of the hotel.

The official story is that he was trying to escape. No one really believed that and the unfounded conspiracy theory, which everyone believed, is that the Mafia paid the cops $1000K to not be around and to not see anything while their goons dropped Reles out the window. And that's still the official story.