1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jeff Sessions fired

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Nov 7, 2018.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The first fall-out from the mid-term elections?
    The end of Mueller's inquiry?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46132348

US Attorney General Jeff Sessions has been fired by President Donald Trump.
    "We thank Attorney General Jeff Sessions for his service, and wish him well!" Mr Trump tweeted on Wednesday.
    The president had repeatedly criticised his top law enforcement official after he recused himself from the Russia investigation dogging the White House.
    Mr Trump said Mr Sessions will be temporarily replaced by his chief of staff, Matthew Whitaker, who has criticised the Russia inquiry.
    In a resignation letter, Mr Sessions - a former Alabama senator who was an early supporter of Mr Trump - made clear the decision to go was not his own.
    "Dear Mr President, at your request I am submitting my resignation," he wrote in an undated letter.
    "Most importantly, in my time as attorney general, we have restored and upheld the rule of law," Mr Sessions added, while thanking the Republican president.
    According to a White House official, Mr Trump's Chief of Staff John Kelly called Mr Sessions on Wednesday before Mr Trump held a press conference to discuss mid-term election results.
    CBS News is reporting that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is no longer leading the Mueller inquiry, and that Matthew Whitaker will now assume control.
    The president cannot directly fire the special counsel, whose investigation Mr Trump has repeatedly decried as a witch hunt. But Mr Sessions' replacement will have the power to fire Mr Mueller or end the inquiry.

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Whoops - now 3 threads on this!