1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jeddah

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by BondStreetBabe, Jan 12, 2019.

1. BondStreetBabe

BondStreetBabe New commenter

It would seem that several years have passed since commenting on schools in Jeddah. I would appreciate any up to date information on the one which used to particularly welcome British and Dutch expats. Many thanks.

2. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

There are a few recent reviews on ISR. One 2016-18 and a couple to to 2017 - worth a look.

3. crinauk

crinauk New commenter

I would personally avoid at all costs. I left last summer and was not paid nearly 8000 pounds in my final pay with nothing I could do about it. This was just the finale of ludicrousness.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It was many years ago now that a younger (and even more foolish) hippopotamus was in Jeddah. Hmm. The "European" school should still be good. That was where Mrs Hippo was giving her singing and piano lessons. As for the smelly pachyderm, he had the misfortune to be at the house of thinking school.

My favourite memory of Jeddah is of the excellent Turkish restaurant near the Bicycle Roundabout. Do they still make the most amazingly scrummily deliciously fantastic bread?

5. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

shocking!

6. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

You need to try to name and shame the school so that people are aware to avoid it...

teachtronic likes this.
  7. crinauk

crinauk New commenter

Bond street babe did in the first comment - there is not another school that is British/Dutch.

8. oldgit

oldgit New commenter

Yes. And they have other branches now including Hera'a Street - very handy for both British schools! Must be your recommendations which have helped their expansion.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Maybe I should go back and claim a free meal, oldgit.

It was quite a long time ago that Mr and Mrs Hippopotamus were in Jeddah. We were living at the very posh Salmia compound, with lots of beautiful tropical gardens and a big swimming pool about 50 metres from our front door.

10. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Does anyone have any recent info about the school in jeddah which some may think is quite knowledgeable?

11. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

I think I have the right school (Dutch/British). Now, I just had a look at their website and it looks like the captain has (finally) changed. I don't work in Jeddah but I had the hilarious pleasure of witnessing the former captain walk the plank after a term of their first ever headship post... Then got hidden by the dodgy group for a year along with the other questionable ones..... Released him and landed in Jeddah in the school you are talking about. I don't know about the new captain but the booted one is a walking liability. The reviews on ISR about the former captain is 100% correct.