1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

JCQ Rules / Guidelines for Sharing Art Coursework online and on social media

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by marchiggins, Oct 23, 2019.

1. marchiggins

marchiggins New commenter

I have had a meeting with our exams officer and we have talked through the September 2019 JCQ rules on sharing live coursework on social media.

It appears from looking on the JCQ site and following the conversation that we cannot share images of live work from current students outside school or on social media.

I can completely see why that might be a concern with written work that can be copied word for word, but struggle to see the need with the visual arts.

Like many departments we share our students' work on social media appropriately without sharing full name and details of the student. It raises the profile of the students, promotes the faculty, shares good practice and is we feel a boost for the students.

I am now being told that doing this breaks JCQ rules for coursework. Has anyone else had similar conversations with colleagues, or have further information that clarifies the situation. Obviously I want to comply with the arrangements from the JCQ, but they seem to apply more readily to written work and I am worried that my school is over reacting to rules that should not / do not apply to art

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

It’s a blanket rule. I teach Media Studies, where much of the work is also non-written, and the same rule applies (and has been made very clear by the exam board). I guess the rule isn’t just about direct copying – it’s to stop the sharing of ideas too.