1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jazzing up phase 5 phonics?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Apr 16, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I am doing phase 5 with my class and feel that my lessons are quite dry and boring and repetitive in their structure, i'd really like to jazz them up a bit with some fun games and activities to do with them to keep them a bit more engaged in it... What do you do? :)

2. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Phase 5 is sooooooo monotonous! I've been thinking the same thing about how to stop it from being repetitive. I subscribed to Phonics Play and I use their games and IWB resources to try and spice things up a bit. It costs £12 a year but personally I feel like I've already had my money's worth. I play bingo and do "spell offs" at the end of sessions which the kids enjoy.
    Bit stumped for other suggestions as I'm finding it hard myself to have too much fun with it because there is so much to cover! Sorry...not much help!

3. I'm getting to a similar point. We play the games on letters-and-sounds.com. Smart Kids phonics cd-rom (can't remember the exact title) is quite good: it contains a poem with phoneme/grapheme spotter activities and an activity for each vowel phoneme (I think) where they have to make words by choosing the right grapheme. It amuses the children when they get it wrong. Don't know if that's a good thing! I'll be interested to read more ideas too.

4. This is because u've come to the end of what used to be regarded as 'phonics' and have moved into the area of memorisation. (For spelling it will go on for the next 10 years.)
    Advocates of synthetic phonics insist that teaching alternative pronunciation for graphemes, such as 'and any father' and different spellings for identical sounds (too - do, shoe, flew, through) is still phonics. In practice, it's just simple word-by-word memorisation.
    Children need lots of practice with the irregular spellings, especially for writing, but they are more fun if done in the context of reading and writing stories and poems, with less and less direct phonics.
    Playing too many games can make u forget that u trying to teach reading and writing.