1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jazz Ensemble

Discussion in 'Music' started by semiquaver_bex, Sep 16, 2011.

1. semiquaver_bex

semiquaver_bex New commenter

Hello all,

I am in the process of setting up a Jazz Ensemble in my school. Trying to find good arrangements to use. I ordered something from the vocal selection of Hal Leonard music, but it turned out to be scored for far more instruments than I have. I can't keep buying music on the off chance that it will suit - I'm having to buy the music myself.

I have a very good painist and a very good bass guitar player, although the latter doesn't read music, just chords, which is hard when a lot of jazz music is scored for double bass players who do read music!

I have a trumpet, trombone, tenor sax, flute and guitar who are all a mixture between grade 2 and 8!

Does anyone have any good suggestions of what arrangements would work for this combination? I reeally don't have the time to try arranging things myself.

If anyone can help - thank you!
    SB

2. semiquaver_bex

semiquaver_bex New commenter

Hello all,

I am in the process of setting up a Jazz Ensemble in my school. Trying to find good arrangements to use. I ordered something from the vocal selection of Hal Leonard music, but it turned out to be scored for far more instruments than I have. I can't keep buying music on the off chance that it will suit - I'm having to buy the music myself.

I have a very good painist and a very good bass guitar player, although the latter doesn't read music, just chords, which is hard when a lot of jazz music is scored for double bass players who do read music!

I have a trumpet, trombone, tenor sax, flute and guitar who are all a mixture between grade 2 and 8!

Does anyone have any good suggestions of what arrangements would work for this combination? I reeally don't have the time to try arranging things myself.

If anyone can help - thank you!
    SB

3. Probably not the answer you want to hear! I've had to arrange all my stuff and use sheet music for my jazz band.
    Could you perhaps score the parts for the bass guitar in tab and the less able instrumentalists from the set you are buying in?
    Of course - if you ever stumble across anything, do let me know!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Hal Leonard have some good Jazz series. http://www.halleonard.com/ Click on Band and Orchestra, then Jazz Ensemble.
    If you see something you like, you can try http://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/welcome.jsp (hover over 'Band' and then there are various options to sort the Jazz music). Often they have audio clips or score previews, so you could hear/see whether the material is suitable.
    And... try to convince the powers-that-be to at least give you some budget to buy resources; paying for your own is not fair! Would they expect the football coach to buy the balls for the 1st XI?