1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

jaw shaping retainers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florapost, Dec 23, 2010.

1. master post was given these 2 weeks ago - he needs serious, long term orthodontic intervention - and i know our orthodontist is one of the most respected for miles around
    phase one are jaw-shaping retainers to move his jaw forwards - they are removeable (vital as he is a professional actor) but he is supposwed to wear them all the time other than performing,eating or sport
    he is working at it - but for the first five days, he could hardly wear them for more than 20 mins - he still can't talk clearly with them in and can't wear them overnight as the saliva build-up makes him cough
    can't go back to o-d till after new year - anyone else had experience of these?

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

After two years, I still didn't speak clearly.
    You have to go through the pain - constantly taking it out only makes this process longer I'm afraid.

As for saliva build up - you are allowed to swallow you know!

3. my thoughts too, i'm afraid - how did you manage in public with the odd speech?
    he is working on it - honest
    the saliva build up is a problem when he is asleep or falling asleep - he can deal with it when awake!

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Just get on with it, really...

5. My son started orthodontic work when he was 10 and had 'blocks' fitted to move his jaw forward. They were painful and distressing for him for the first week or so but he had to make the choice - either persevere with the blocks or live with terrible teeth. He stuck with it and it has really paid off. Took 4 years of blocks and train tracks but he has fabulous teeth now.
    Put a towel on his pillow at night, change that and the pillowcase daily, have a box of hankies at the bedside, keep them in unless it's absolutely necessary to take them out. It really is that simple. It's not easy though and it will take determination and perseverance to get through it and there is nothing anyone else can do to help him through it. The more time he spends with the blocks in the more his mouth will adjust to the feel of them being there and the saliva production will decrease. If he is producing excessive amounts of saliva after a week or so then is he not wearing them very much (and so isn't getting used to them)?

6. well - he was given them 5 days before the end of term - and then he went down with a snotty cold - so really, he's just gettin g used to them now - he is starting to sound a bit more comprehensible and is giving sleeping with them in another go tonight
    he is motivated - his future career may depend on getting his mouth fixed!!!!
    i will show him these posts tomorrow to show him it does get better

7. Yes, we also moved when he was 12, his new dentist didn't think there was a problem until he turned 15 when they suddenly decided it was bad enough for treatment, it then took a year for an appointment due to funding problems ( and the orthodontist is an hours drive away for what is usually a 5 minute check up!)
    I sometimes think dentures would be a lot easier!

8. My daughter is going to have moulds taken for blocks in about 2 weeks.
    Her orthodontist said that if she could try and comply with the treatment as much as possible, her jaw would move forward quite quickly. He did say though that she wouldn't have to wear them all the time, but I can't honestly remember when he said she didn't need to wear them - possibly sleeping and eating.
    I think she knows it is going to take a period of adjustment, and we are prepared for that.
    I had something similar on my top teeth, although I didn't have them on my bottom teeth.
    I had blocks which came down over my top back teeth, so I couldn't close my teeth together.
    I didn't need my jaw bringing forward, but one of my teeth was sitting behind the bite, and it needed to be brought forward.
    They were awkward and painful at times, but I got used to them. Unfortunately they didn't work all that well, though, as the tooth isn't completely in the right place even now.

9. son has been told to keep them in for sleeping and to take them out for eating, sport, euphonium playing (duh!) and drama - but even then, for the shortest periods of time possible - so for example, if he had another job like 'godot' where he was in the dressing room most of the time, he should keep them in and take them out to go on stage (same for filming, i suppose, but he doesn't do so much of that)
    which reminds me - must put his name, form, address, phone number and all other forms of identification possible on the case - just thinking i didn't do that with daughter's invisalign - but she has a handbag....
    hope your daughter gets the moulds done with minimum discomfort, doglover - it's a horrid procedure, isn't it?

10. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

My absolutely gorgeous top set year 9 class all have a face full of metal at the moment and they are sooooo cute! I'd say a good 60% of them have some form of brace or retainer, and they've all got them over the past few months. We make a joke out of the fact that no-one can speak properly, bless them. Because they are so clever and lovely, they are all still desperate to put hteir hands up in class and contribute to discussion, so it's fun and games trying to figure out what they are saying. They take it in their stride and have a good laugh with it. I think it helps them that lots of them have got the same issue, so it's almost like a little club they've made.
    God love them, they are the cutest things ever.

11. son is now wearing retainers all the time other than drama, singing and sport
    thanks from both of us for all advice, encouragement and personal stories

12. I would love to have my crooked teeth fixed (should have had a brace as a teen but no-one thought to mention it) but the dentist says it will be £4500...and I haven't got the money. Nor will I have until I'm about 50 and the children have grown up and I've paid off my student loans. I wonder if I'll bother then. :( Sob.

13. I had braces when I was younger - I had retainers for a year and then train tracks put on when I was 14 - they eventually came off when I was 18. I used to hate having the moulds done - I have quite a small mouth and my gag reflex kicked in when they shoved the moulds in. My retainers were two plates with a screw in that widened the retainer to try to widen my jaw - that was very uncomfortable and really affected my speech. I loved my train tracks - I always had coloured elastics on mine. Each time they got tightened I would be in agony for a few days.
    I have a girl in my class who has them now and she gets really grumpy when she has had them tightened - fortunately I remember what it was like and have told her I remember - she now tells me when she has had them done which makes dealing with her grumpiness easier.
    It is well worth it though - 8 years later and my teeth are still perfectly straight.

14. i so sympathize

i asked to have my teeth fixed as a teenager, but the dentist
    said i was being fussy - i ended up having 2 of the crooked teeth capped
    - no wonder i'm so ferocious about the kids' teeth
    kniat - both mine throw up whenever they have a mould done - the dental nurse just holds a basin out .....

15. My elder son had them at 13 for an overcrowded mouth (my merry quip that removing his tongue would make more space and give me some peace was met with a stony glare.) He hated them, they hurt, he had to have four healthy molars removed for them to be fitted when the worst thing he'd experienced at the dentist's to that point was a check-up, he got mocked even though dozens of other kids had them, but he has absolutely lovely straight even teeth now forever.

16. My daughter hadhew twin blocks fitted yesterday, bless her and it really struggling with them, although I have to admire her determination in getting used to them.
    She can take them out to eat at the moment, but is managing to keep them in most of the time apart from that.
    Her poor jaws are aching, because of the new position it is holding her jaw in, and she is feeling a lot of pressure on her bottom teeth.
    I am trying to reassure her she will get used to them, but I hope I am right.

17. Yeah, only my top sets can afford braces too.
    Makes me quite sad really. My bottom set with dodgy uncorrected teeth.
    I reckon cosmetic dentistry should be free for kids on benefits.

18. It should be free for no-one.

19. Don't kids in England have braces paid for?
    They nearly all get their braces paid for here. Each case gets scored according to a set of criteria, and if they reach a certain mark they will definitely get treatment, and slightly below that they probably will etc. But I don't know any child who has been turned down :/

20. In order to have free orthodontic treatment on the NHS the child needs to have met the criteria. This has changed over the years and what used to be free years ago now has to be treated privately. Sadly it means some children who need treatment don't get it unless their parents pay.