1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Javid breaks his holiday to deal with crisis

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Not the homeless crisis but the immigrant crisis who are crossing the sea from France to Britain.

I agree that this is a a crisis but should we not be dealing with things nearer to home eg Universal credit, homeless, etc..

monicabilongame and ROSIEGIRL like this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Technically, once the immigrants land they will be both illegal and homeless.

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I agree Marshall - the word crisis should also be applied to homelessness, the rising use of foodbanks and so on.

On Radio 4 Broadcasting House this morning, a member of the public said words to the effect of, 'We don't know if they are terrorists or murderers and our ships should just blow them out of the water.'

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I expect he'll sort things by standing outside a building in a power stance.

Dog whistle rubbish.

3426.jpg

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

They always look as though they've just wet themselves and are trying to air-dry themselves before anyone notices.

bombaysapphire and Sinnamon like this.
  6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Oh dear. There has been a suspicion, though, that the French have been only too pleased to see them on their way. Javid has apparently had speaks with the French Interior Minister, although I don't know if the French have agreed to do more to help prevent what will inevitably be a terrible accident before long.

7. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I listen to Radio 4 all the time and I didn't hear this - how shocking:(

Please don't think my post referred to this - it's just that we have greater needs at home.

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

For every migrant who has crossed the channel this week, 10 homeless people have died on the streets of UKp plc in 2018.
    Is anyone surprised at all at which Javid considers a crisis? We know what the man - and his party - is made of.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The nasty party never went away

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

"Deal with" in typical Tory fashion; too little, too late, too face saving. Like Hunt with the NHS, Grayling with the railways, Boris with freeing that woman from Iran. Time for a completely new political system (but its never going to happen).

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

He didn't consider it a crisis. He was pressured to come back.
    There' s nothng he can do to fix it, so it's all show.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The overwhelming hostility that has been directed towards these people tells you all you need to know just how s**t this country has become.

13. Photo51

In the good old days we would have sent cruise ships to bring them all back safely from the ME.

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Flippancy aside - this country has really changed for the worse the last couple of years. It's a meaner, less tolerant place than it used to be and our prospects for the next few years are not good.

15. Photo51

It's always been like that. People didn't used to look hard enough.

16. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The coverage this is getting in parts of the media, both in quantity and tone, is aimed at fomenting such hostility.

monicabilongame and ilovesooty like this.
  17. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I totally agree!

18. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Absolutely. The hostity on social media is disturbing and since the referendum it's more blatant.

19. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Are the boats being sunk? Towed back to France? Are they left to drift in the Channel? Are the people denied medical treatment? Food? Water? Are the "migrants" being placed in camps? Sent back to Iran? Come on, give me an example of the "overwhelming hostility" shown by this country, which is tolerant and patient to a fault, toward these uninvited arrivals.

maggie_piano likes this.
  20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I wasn't aware that we used to tolerate illegal immigrants - and that's what these Iranians are - they are not asylum seekers.