1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Java IDE problems

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by vornstar, Oct 11, 2018.

1. vornstar

vornstar New commenter

Hi

We use intelliJ idea for our java IDE and it is fantastic, but the way our users are set up, the configuration is not saved and this has to be set up every time they log on which takes valuable lesson time. Plus I want to introduce this to year 9 and don't want to have to do this with 120 users every single week. We use mandatory profiles on a Windows 7 network.

Do you have any recommendations to resolve this or another IDE that is similarly featured?

Best wishes

Wayne

2. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

If you’re in the market for an alternative, I would suggest BlueJ it was designed specifically for the education sector. There is a support website for teachers using it called the Blueroom as well. It’s free and open source software as also so no licensing issues for your school.

3. vornstar

vornstar New commenter

Thanks. I've tried BlueJ and didn't like it. I may have another look.

As a workaround I modified a file telling intelliJ to save the config to their user area instead of the C drive and this works almost as it should now so this'll do.

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I would definitely use BlueJ over any higher functioning IDE for high school use. It may look extremely tired at first glance but it's extremely easy to use and allows users to visualise the links between their classes. I can imagine the lower ability would really appreciate its simplicity