1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Japan to defy court ruling on Antarctic whaling.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Nov 28, 2015.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Japan has announced it will resume whaling in the Antarctic early next year after a break of more than a year.

The decision comes despite an International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruling that Japan cease all whaling.

The Japanese government says it has taken into account the court ruling and its "scientific" whaling programme will be much smaller.

"Scientific" my ar5e!

The entire world knows why the Japanese kill whales, so let's sing along with Vera...

Whale meat again, we know where, we know when...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Excellent... Wales has been asking for trouble... let Japan give it to them!

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But to be serious... what is this Japanese obsession with killing the largest animals on the planet? Is it a sense of national inadequacy or something?

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

You've gone rather marine this afternoon, nomad.

5. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Culinary.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yup, but my posts are serious and I'm not taking the piscine.

Lascarina likes this.
  7. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

According to this map, quite possibly!

[​IMG]

lanokia likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Hey! We've got bigger schlongs than the Yanks!

lanokia likes this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It was a necessity after the war to feed the population.

Of all the whaling nations Japan made best and most complete use of the whales for food, whereas others (Britain included) would use some of the meat for animal feed or even ground up and used as fertiliser if no other market could be found.

Not that this is an excuse to carry on killing whales which is now not necessary at all.

One problem the Japanese have in this regard is they need to keep supplying whale meat and blubber to market or the habit of eating it will decline along with the skills of catching and processing the whales. It's mainly just older people in Japan who eat it any more which I suspect is a main reason they are reducing the amount they catch from 1000 to 333. Young Japanese don't like eating whales, so I reckon in time it will stop due to market forces.

lanokia likes this.
  10. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

or lack of whales

11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

The high seas are about the only place left where the Japanese can still practice something like the arrogant, stupid cruelty that makes them so hated, even now, in places like China, Korea and my family. Uncle Frank was captured on Corregidor in 1942 and was a guest of the Emperor until VE Day. Unbelievable story of suffering and endurance. I have the first letter he wrote to his wife and children after he was liberated. It would break your heart.

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Can Greenpeace have a redundant Trident submarine?