1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Japan - health insurance

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by scala1, Apr 21, 2017.

1. scala1

scala1 New commenter

Hi

Myself & my daughter will be moving to Japan in August and I'm looking at possible options for health insurance. Our school will be paying half the premiums and has given us a choice between the Japanese national health system or Scholars Worldwide; alternatively, we can opt for a different scheme of our choosing. Please does anyone have info / advice?

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

We used the Japanese national health system when we lived in Japan before and were pretty happy with it. I'm not sure how the premiums compare these days with your other choices but it was fairly painless to use and our out of pocket costs were minimal, even for minor surgical procedures etc.

Japan is amazing. We are back here now with the US version of the SCE schools and have no plans of leaving anytime soon.

3. scalatinks1

scalatinks1 New commenter

Thanks for the info, reassuring to hear that you had a positive experience of Japan

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I forgot to add that if the rules are the same, then your first year of premiums are virtually nil/minimal as they are based upon income earned in Japan. They do not go up until you file your tax return at the end of your first year which was a nice savings to offset moving/settling in expenses..

scalatinks1 likes this.