1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

January teacher training day when I work a half day?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Georgia99, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

The first day back in January is a teacher training day. However as I am part time, it falls on a day when I don't normally start work until after the first break.

I didn't think about this until recently so am unsure what I should do and it is too late for me to ask anyone at the school as they won't be back until the training day itself!

Should I just go in at my normal time and miss the first sessions or should I go in for the full day and then ask to claim for the additional hours that I attended in the morning? Given that I haven't agreed this with anyone in advance, they might tell me I should have just come in at my normal start time. But if I do not attend the full day then they might question this as well?

I am quite new to the school and am on a temporary contract, I am quite isolated at the school as I am in a block on my own and I am the only one in my department, teachers don't seem to use the staff room at lunch time so I can go a day without even speaking to another teacher sometimes! So different to the schools I completed my PGCE placements at.

2. Sadly, I don't think anyone can tell you what to do... if you had been able to ask at the end of last term, the answer would probably have depended on whether the training that they are planning is relevant to you or not (and you might have been able to negotiate payment if the whole day was necessary for you to attend)... but at this point no one can tell....
    If I were you, and didn't have issues with childcare or anything else, I'd probably go in early, but have ideas of useful things that could be done to get ahead on lesson planning etc for later in the week so that I could use the time profitably if I was not needed until later.
    On the day, I'd go and find your line manager as soon as you get in and find out "which half day do they want you for"... (hopefully implying that if they want you to stay all day, then they need to negotiate pay? - though I've never managed to get this!). On the other hand, if they do only need you for part of the day, you can go and do your own stuff beforehand, or maybe get away early (may be possible if other teachers are having department meetings or something that you do not need to be involved in?)
    if you do have difficulties with getting in early, it might be worth trying to contact the school office during office hours at the end of this week - or the start of next week if the training day is not straight after the bank holiday. If the office staff are in, they probably have a way of contacting a senior teacher with a note or an email who might be able to say that it is OK for you to come in at your usual time - or to let you know if it is something that shouldn't be missed if at all possible.
    This is one of the things about part time working - we normally have to be extra aware of part days and inset etc and get people to decide how much we are needed... (unless there are a lot of part timers at your place, it doesn't often get considered before the first person asks!)
    Sorry none of this really helps.. but maybe you'll be able to come up with a plan of what to do...
    Liz

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you have a school email system, it is very likely that somebody senior will read theior emails. So, you could email a few relevant people. If that doesn't work, why not turn up at the start of the day and ask? If they don't want you for the whole day, you could then leave after the right amount of time. This is assuming that you don't have issues around starting earlier than usual

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

As you haven't sorted this before the Xmas break, I'd advise going in for the start of the session and telling your line manager that you will obviously only be staying for the number of hours contracted that day of the week, unless they would like you to stay all day with extra pay (like everyone else who is attending all day and being paid for the day).