1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

January starts

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rambo12, May 26, 2011.

1. lmao..... Pure is right many people do runners at xmas in The Middle East. The usual reasons are: 1. culture shock 2. poor accomodation 3. they are at cowboy schools that are so badly run that excellent teachers jump ship 4. leave to go back to bfs or gfs 5. the people that do runners just were not mentally/emotionally ready to make a transition to anouther country 6. They are not flexible enough to adjust. Or a combination of the above. Would anyone agree or disagree with the above?....

2. January openings are often due to runners, but not always. A number of schools in the Southern Hemisphere start in January. I started one of my jobs in January, because the previous teacher got pregnant and did not want to stay in a country with very poor health care, let alone deliver her baby there. In at least one case I am aware of, a school had more students than they expected in September, and so created a new post to alleviate the number of students per class.

3. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Yes there are many Southern Hemisphere schools or schools that run a Southern Hemisphere curriculum which follow the normal SH academic year which is late Jan/early Fed through December.

4. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Sorry, I just read your OP properly. Probably not many of those schools in the ME.