1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

January exams- good or bad?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by anon766, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Having taught G&P for the last 8 years I would definitely say to do a summer entry. The kids don't know anything by January and the politics modules are quite hard to seperate in my experience. Even if you're teaching them separately (which is what we've always done) they sort of build on each other. So understanding elections helps with understanding of how the House of Commons works even though they might be on different papers. We did try doing January modules a few years ago but got terrible results because they weren't ready and just planned to do it again.
    Good luck!

2. Ssn77

Ssn77 New commenter

I don't like January exams. I think many pupils do think it is not important as they can retake + you lose a chunk of teaching time. In addition, some get ok grades and do not retake, when I think they would have done better in the summer.
    The main argument for, seems to be to give the lazy ones a kick up the backside; but is it then fair to disadvantage the hardworking ones?

3. Do a mock exam in January and tell them they have to pass it to progress and finish the course. Best of both worlds.