1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jane McDonald quits channel 5 cruising and chat shows

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertain...nd-no-were-not-ok/ar-BB10vPUi?ocid=spartanntp

So there is a God!

Mrs Shedman was an avid Jane McDonald fan so I had to sit through a fair number of these TV shows but the 'girl from Wakefield made good' schtick along with the wide-eyed 'I really can't believe I'm here doing this' subtext in every show just grated on my nerves. I'll admit that she had a good voice when she first came to fame through BBC's The Cruise in the late 90s but when singing her recent attempts at some of the higher notes find her struggling - to the audience's discomfort.

Having just typed this all out, now I realise that it should have gone into the entertainment section which I'm sure some Tessers will delight in telling me.

towncryer likes this.
  2. WB

WB Senior commenter

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Channel what?

colacao17, towncryer and WB like this.
  4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

That's a shame I liked her on the travel shows. I liked her Northern humour as well.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Nope, means nothing to me either ;)

Kandahar and Jamvic like this.
  6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I enjoy seeing the places she travels to and like her down to earth manner. There can be too much of a good thing, however, so maybe it’s time for a change.

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Wakefield. Never heard of it.

8. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Established commenter

I sometimes go cruising. Don't tell the missus.

magic surf bus and T34 like this.
  9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

That’s a bit mean really. I have enjoyed her shows and to be honest there is nothing quite like getting on board a cruise ship with a lovely cabin and new holiday awaiting ahead. I always got rather a genuine feel from her re her enthusiasm and she does have a nice way with people.
    On one show she sang when on a little boat in an underground cavern and there was nothing wrong with her voice at all ! Hers isn’t my taste in music but her unaccompanied vocal of a haunting song was lovely !

10. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Why didn't just escape to your shed when she was on TV?

11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'd never heard of her, either - but then we don't watch much television.

12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It gets a bit cold out there in the winter and I'm too mean to put the electric heater on.

13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah yes I read this - she has decided to concentrate on her ‘ music career ‘ . Well good luck with that. Personally I think she is lucky to be in work ;) !

border_walker likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Why - she isn't a bad singer.

She's harmless - leave her alone.