1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jane Considine - writing scheme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alisay, Jan 16, 2017.

1. alisay

alisay New commenter

Hi,
    Has anyone adopted the Jane Considine approach to writing in their school? We're looking to change but all the planning etc looks a bit overwhelming. Can you pick and choose aspects of it or does it have to be exactly by the book to successfully work. Also, how do you successfully differentiate using the scheme - has anyone found that it inhibits high ability writers?
    Sorry for all the questions, it's a big move for us if we choose to go with it and would be great to hear from me people who are using it.
    Thanks so much!

TEA2111 likes this.
  2. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

We use some Jane Considine bits - the fantastics etc are great for the children to remember and help inspire their writing.

However, her book is confusing and contradictory and her approach to writing is not great - far too samey and gimmicky to be effective in our experience. She had a good idea but has over-thought and over-marketed it. Not enough independent writing and too much guided writing.

So yes, we have adapted it. There are some great ideas in there which appeal to children, but it needs to be applied with a lot of common sense and not followed blindly.

TEA2111 likes this.
  3. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Forget daft money-making schemes like these. If you want to improve writing then do loads and loads of reading and talking. Fire them up. Build up their vocabulary. Pick a genre, model its structure, then let them loose.

Pomz, TEA2111 and Grandsire like this.
  4. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

Our school is in the process of adopting this approach. We have spent considerable time in 'training'. I personally don't like it. It is very prescriptive, planning is laborious, and children never to get to be creative. I have to wonder if this approach won't squelch the imagination of young children. But that being said, the proof will be in the pudding and I will have a better idea of its effectiveness in a couple of months. I am very interested to hear other opinions.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I nabbed a free unit to use with my class. Just happened to fit the topic I wanted for this term and was clear and easy to use. I have no training so have just adapted what's there and made it work for me and the class.

It isn't all lovely, creative writing each lesson at all, but they are definitely producing much higher quality sentences, albeit following a clear model/structure. I am certainly hoping that at the end of the unit they will be able to use what they have learnt in a creative piece.

I teach in a boys school and they are loving the structure. We read the associated novel as a class reader last term, so they know the story well. We also built a large scale model at the end of term which fits the story. They are very, very proud of what they produce in English, even though all of it is what I'd call guided writing. In terms of motivation and progress it has been brilliant.

However...
    Would I use it with all classes all the time? No. It just happens to suit what this class needed this term.
    Would I pay for it? Probably not. Maybe if there was another unit I wanted to use, but definitely not buying the entire scheme.
    Do I feel I need training? No

TEA2111 likes this.
  6. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

We've adapted it and I've started using it the last few weeks. So far so good. Bit prescriptive, but for most of my year 4s that's just what they need and for the HA children I have a lucky dip pot they choose from to deepen their writing in some way so they are not restricted. Will be interested to see how it impacts long term (that's if it doesn't all change again before it can be)!!

TEA2111 likes this.
  7. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

Just wondered if anyone wanted to share what your opinions were now after you have been using it for a while?
    Thanks

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

100 percent right.