1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jamie's Dream School

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by flame108, Mar 5, 2011.

1. What a shame - there appears to be no RE taught in Jamie's Dream School, Channel 4. What a waste of a good opportunity to show what the subject can offer. Perhaps it's meant to be an academy....

2. What a shame - there appears to be no RE taught in Jamie's Dream School, Channel 4. What a waste of a good opportunity to show what the subject can offer. Perhaps it's meant to be an academy....

3. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Pigs cut open in science lessons - did they check to see if their were any Jews/Muslims in the classroom?
    Perhaps it's because the teachers themselves are the one's in need of SMCE and Religious Education?
    Comments such as 'These kids need to be taught creatively' and 'kids need to be praised' makes me feel they don't think we do that on a daily basis!
    Why didn't he begin by going into secondary schools?
    But on a positive, the episode this week did make me laugh - finally some proof that teachers need to be trained, that it is a difficult job, and that we need the government/publics support rather than criticism!

4. I think there are differences in both the religions between the eating of pork and dissecting a pig. Ethically the dissection should really be for the betterment of mankind and not just for entertainment.

5. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

I completely agree, however surely it would cause some concerns with some Muslim/Jewish pupils. Including those who are vegetarian and pro-animal rights. It is great to openly discuss these issues, but to assume or challenge a view with the intent to cause a reaction cannot be encouraged.
    The shock tactic works, but you must be careful - I doubt there was careful planning here!

6. crownjoolz71

crownjoolz71 New commenter

I heard there was an epsiode about science where he made the Year 10 boys go into the loos with a cup - then they examined sperm under a microscope. Can you IMAGINE that happening in any school in the country without someone being sacked lol?

7. Are you sure about that? The excerpt I watched had them examining sea urchins!

8. pete14

pete14 New commenter

If RE had been included, I wonder who they would have chosen to teach it.
    I do find it odd though that so many column inches have been written about what is essentially a 'reality' TV show which has few roots in reality. I just hope people are not taking it seriously, perhaps basing government educational policy on what is just supposed entertainment.
    Mind you, I don't think Jamie Oliver would be a worse Secretary of State for Education than Gove is on the basis that it would be very difficult to be worse than our esteemed leader.

9. Er I think Professor Winston is quite aware he is Jewish, I could be wrong but he seems quite inteligent to me, and having seen him walk past on the way to Synagoge I'm quite confident he does know.

10. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

lol my bad!
    Although, aren't we encouraged to teach diversity within religions. A Muslim teacher at my school said she'd be horrified if her daughters were asked to work with a dead pig in the classroom. I know others, of no religious persuasion at all, who have said they didn't like the idea of it. My point really wasn't the lack of knowledge of religious traditions, but the lack of sensitivity.
    But yes, I'm ashamed I didn't do my research before putting forward an opinion - how very thoughless of me!

11. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

And I admit i'm biased as a Vegie! One who cooks meat for others, so a pretty **** one to most Vegetarian's standards! And of course i'd take it with good humour - I'm an RE teacher! :p