1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jamie's Dream School?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Mar 2, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Sorry if a thread has already been done - couldn't see it. Is anyone else watching?
    I'd love to think that the show might demonstrate how valuable teachers are and how good a job we do....not any old actor/sportsman/scientist can be a teacher. However, I have a feeling that the opposite will happen.
    What do you think so far?

2. fantastischfish

Sorry if a thread has already been done - couldn't see it. Is anyone else watching?
    I'd love to think that the show might demonstrate how valuable teachers are and how good a job we do....not any old actor/sportsman/scientist can be a teacher. However, I have a feeling that the opposite will happen.
    What do you think so far?

3. I can't bear to watch it. I suspect the kids will be total sh*ts for a while, but will then become inspired and find themselves turned around and turned on to this educations thing. Then 'ordinary' teachers will be villified all over again for not being able to do that on a daily basis.
    Bah!

4. Have started to watch but don't think i'm in the mood for it tonight so going to record instead. Cannot stand Jamie Oliver so doubt i'll enjoy it - anyway I think its already been said that the 'teachers' on this show are not following a curriculum. I'm sure most of us would love to do this and pick out the more interesting elements to our subjects but time constraints mean we can't. Also is it me or are the class sizes small, plus they are kids who messed up GCSEs. Many young people I imagine regret how they messed around once the opportunity has passed them by. Those in the situation i.e. current year 11's however do not see this.

5. I'm recording it (can't seem to watch C4 live on the laptop, and my bed is warmer and more comfortable from the sofa) so can't comment. I'm... unsure. I was dead against and then I read this article about it, written by the latin teacher.
    Her comment about "maybe it was just the cameras that made them act that way" made me chuckle.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

David Starkey telling them that they are fat failures is an interesting technique!

7. Besides, Neil Oliver's on BBC2... [​IMG]

8. fantastischfish

I dunno, I expect David Starkey's current lecture is going to alienate quite a few of them. He just called a kid fat in front of the whole class.

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

It will end with all the apprentices at 15 standing on tables chanting "Oh Captain, My Captain", before one of them hangs themselves because their father disapproved of their souffle

10. I'm watching it and that's not what's happening as far as I can see.
    Jamie and Simon Callow said from the off that teaching is a very hard job.
    For a clever man, Starkey is being pretty stupid.

11. *snorts with laughter*

12. I haven't seen it Eva, but I saw JO promoting it. What a load of tosh.
    He is more or less saying kids are disaffected because teachers just aren't inspirational enough. Nice slap in the face for us all, eh? He is getting his own programme and a host of 'stars' to illustrate his point.
    All I'll say is, when Simon Callow goes into my last school (*shudders*) and inspires a bottom set Yr 10 to produce marvellous work on a Fri afternoon, Jamie will have made a valid point. Oh, Simon Callow will also be bound by the NC, schemes of work and be expected to get course work in from kids who are reluctant to put pen to paper. (Correction : Kids who just don't bring pens or any other equipment into school, other than their weed, phone, baseball cap and make-up bag.) <~~~ this of course is the teacher's fault. Sigh.
    I suspect anyone, even the thicko Oliver himself, can give a one-off interesting lesson to a group of kids they have never met before and will never meet again. Facing them several times a week, all year long is a very different kettle of fish.
    This of course won't be mentioned in the programme.

13. It's all kicking off! I have had to switch to another channel. Might go back for a peak leater.

14. I really feel sorry for David Starkey. He made a stupid comment because he was placed in a situation he wasn't comfortable in. It was a dreadful thing to say to a student, and we as teachers know that, but I think what he may have been trying to do was banter.

15. bombaysapphire

I wish they would stop saying that anyone without 5 GCSE A*-Cs is a failure. As JO has rightly pointed out that covers 50% of the population.
    Yes, some of those have the academic ability and haven't made the most of it. Some people just aren't academic, that doesn't make them a failure. Thanks for making my job of persuading my bottom set that turning a Grade G into a Grade F is with their effort just that bit harder.

16. bombaysapphire

Thanks for making my job of persuading my bottom set that turning a Grade G into a Grade F is <strike>with</strike> worth their effort just that bit harder.

17. fantastischfish

To be fair, Jamie seemed to do quite a good job of calming down the disgruntled kids after Starkey's lesson. However, it's not as simple to placate these sorts of kids when you're under pressure to make sure they get grade C.
    All of us would find the job easier to do if there wasn't the pressure of the grade at the end. Jamie has nothing to lose...if he fails, they lose nothing.

18. Rolf Harris: 'If there were half the number of kids there, I might be able to give my attention to more people.'
    Hello? You already have a tiny class of 12 and you want 6? try 32, mate!

19. I don't know what the show is really trying to prove- We can't just send our kids out sailing, we can't just teach what we like, and we can't plonk them on TV to blame their school for being such little *****.

20. fantastischfish

The vomiting kids was quite funny though!

That said, I think they'll get a few complaints about the use of mice and pigs!