1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jamie's 30 minute meals (again!)

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Jan 6, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You just get your minions in the back to do the prep and weigh it out into nice little bowls for you to assemble.

2. I made the thai green curry last week, and it took a good 20 mins just to make the sauce and cook the chicken. That was one part of a 4 part menu.
    I think a lot of people have been misled by the TV show too, but we forget that a lot of it is cut and shut TV, and so he might have left it cooking for 20 minutes before saying 'and now check you chicken'.
    JSYU x

3. Indeed.
    I have one of his cookery books (can't remember which one) but in there he claims that one of the meals can be made in 16 minutes (he apparently had timed himself).
    I am not the slowest of cooks but I have never managed it in under 45 minutes.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I'm making something out of the book next week - fiance's grandmother bought it as an early birthday present so I'm making something out of it to make her think that I'm putting it to good use. In reality, it collects dust.
    I have no idea what to make.

5. The last meal in the link sounds quite nice, egypt.

6. egyptgirl

I was going to do that but <strike>the old witch</strike> Mr. Egypt's grandmother is apparently allergic to half of the ingredients in the recipe.

7. How about the roast beef, baby yorkies, little carrots, crispy potatoes and super quick gravy?

8. egyptgirl

I refuse to buy a piece of beef fillet for a midweek meal. I wouldn't buy it for a weekend meal or a special occasion. I'll probably go with the liver and bacon - she "doesn't do" foreign food - hence why she thinks I can't cook. I don't really think she approves of her favourite grandson marrying a "foreigner" but heigh-ho.

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Which supermarket do I buy them from? [​IMG]
    I could use Mr M as a minion I suppose.
    Then again... [​IMG]

10. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I bought the book, have decided to just trate is as a normal cookbook though rather than faffing around trying to get it done in 30 mins. Thought it actually looked better as sort of a dinner party book rather than midweek meals for 2. Haven't cooked anything from it yet, am going to look properly over the weekend as to what I fancy and maybe cook it on Sunday.

11. I love the recipe using sausages and fennel seed as a pasta sauce.

12. My mum got this for Christmas - I need to nick it for recipe plundering. I was sceptical of the 30 minute claim from the start though, but I guess if you regard it as a "nice nosh for dinner parties that you're not going to be cooking alllllll day or running to M+S as a desperation measure" book instead it's going to work better (but wouldn't fit on the cover if you called it that).