1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jamie Oliver's maths teacher? Who would you pick as your star teacher?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pipipi, Feb 23, 2011.

1. I have seen some adverts for Jamie's Super school where he has has got some 'celeb pals' to come in and teach their subject, for example David Starkey is teaching History and alistair Campbell is teaching Politics.
    I haven't seen who is teaching Maths. I might try looking at the website , or I might keep myself in the dark until then.

But opening it out, if you were going to set up your own school with a celeb Maths teacher who would you pick?
    My choice would be Johnny Ball. Very enthusiastic and always interesting.

2. I have seen some adverts for Jamie's Super school where he has has got some 'celeb pals' to come in and teach their subject, for example David Starkey is teaching History and alistair Campbell is teaching Politics.
    I haven't seen who is teaching Maths. I might try looking at the website , or I might keep myself in the dark until then.

But opening it out, if you were going to set up your own school with a celeb Maths teacher who would you pick?
    My choice would be Johnny Ball. Very enthusiastic and always interesting.

3. Brad Pitt and George Clooney for the Drama dept. Johnny Depp could come in part time.

4. I'm afraid you can't have George Clooney for Drama, I've already signed him up for maths.

Johnny Ball would be excellent, I always enjoyed his TV shows. On a slightly 'Tele Addicts' note, does anyone know if he actually starred in 'Play Away' or just wrote for the show? I was interested to see that he actually wrote for some of the famous comedy stars of the time, including my own favourite, Dave Allen!

5. Johnny Ball is great ... at what he does ... but he would not be so great faced with disinterested, bottom set Y10 on a Friday afternoon, knowing that he has to teach them how to add fractions yet again

But then again, that is the problem with the show

Teacher TV did a similar thing some years ago with celebs going in to teach a class ... they were all fine until the kids answered back or asked a *** question

6. Jonathon Ross free to teach how he wanted with Paul Merton team teaching.
    I would like to listen Roass go through the "sqaure roots of w squared" whilst controlling behaviour
    Failing that, Art Garfunkle is a qualified maths teacher IIRC. He can bring high quality learning and some nice music for the downtime.

7. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

No-one's mentioned dear old Carol V yet. As she's been very noble and taken on personal responsibility for the future of maths education in our corner of the world, perhaps she should be given a chance with my bottom set Year 11 on Friday afternoon...

8. I like the idea of that googolplex. Maybe we could start a series where celebs pop in on a Friday afternoon to take the bottom groups, and we could swan off to a red carpet bash?

When Carol wants to pick a kid to answer.....does she take one from the front?

9. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

True but, if given the freedom, I'd sooner teach the Yr11 class than do the swanning. Far more interesting hobbies outside 'luvviedom'...

10. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I was really excited a couple of years ago to be at a conference where he was speaking.
    It was a real let-down. He did one little trick (like I remember from when he was on the telly) and then ranted for the next 43 minutes about how climate change was a scam.
    I don't know enough about the science to say whether he was right or not, but I felt a bit like an old rocker going to see Robert Plant in concert and instead of getting old Led Zep numbers having to endure lots of fold music instead!

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A colleague went to that. She was gutted.
    Jamie has Alvin Hall teaching the Maths. He is some kind of finance guru.

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Well there's a surprise. Because maths is all about money. Well, I suppose to Jamie it is. ***!
    Part of ne wants to watch this programme but I'm not sure if my blood pressure will take it.

13. DM

DM New commenter

The spurting of blood will be the least of your worries.

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You reckon DM? Why's that?
    Wonder who the dream head would be? Might nick the idea and take it over to the HT forum ( but give due credit, obviously).

Terry Thomas, proper HT material!

15. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I think it is more likely in this case to be about celebrity. Alvin Hall presented the TV programme "Your money or your life" a while back. Having said that, if no-one else here has heard of him then he probably isn't an A-list celeb!
    He's been on TV so he must know what he is talking about!

16. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Just out of interest, who is going to be the Food Technology teacher?

17. DM

DM New commenter

Here's hoping that, if Dr Robert Winston got that job too, he washed his hands first.

18. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Nigella?

19. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Fish fingers?

20. DM

DM New commenter

"Dr" Gillian McKeith surely? Britain's leading nutrionist.