1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jamie Oliver's Dream School

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Petite Joueuse, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ...apparently does not teach MFL to GCSE!
    We are not wanted - we cannot even enter the competition - and if we DID decide to enter, we would all be disqualified for using languages other than English!
    Since when did a chef tell us all how to build a school?
    http://www.youtube.com/dreamteachers

2. ...apparently does not teach MFL to GCSE!
    We are not wanted - we cannot even enter the competition - and if we DID decide to enter, we would all be disqualified for using languages other than English!
    Since when did a chef tell us all how to build a school?
    http://www.youtube.com/dreamteachers

3. What is the Spanish for "Happy Days!"? - it must be "qué idiota - un cocinero que pretende saber como cambiar la sociedad mediante emisiones sensacionalistas en la tele con el apoyo de los grandes del mundo del comercio."
    I didn't know Sainsbury's did education - where is Jamie getting his millions from this time?
    One thing he does have right - 30 minute meals - anyone get more than 30 minutes for lunch or are we all devoting our entire lunchtimes to our jobs?
    Cushteeeeeeee!

4. Since when did you see anything to do with MFL featuring on mainstream TV? Even when it features on University challenge it is at the level of the recognition of individual nouns.
    Quite a number of BBC newscasters have MFL degrees.but never have an opportunity to show their ability. In contrast to news broadcasts on the continent where I have seen interviews conducted,usually in English, by newsreaders, that are then subtitled.It is such a shame.
    As for Jamie Oliver ,I believe that he has worked in Italy as a chef. What a opportunity to show MFL at work. Lack of will/ imagination probably.

5. Quite! I am so incensed by this that I'm going to start a Free Restaurant with government funding. I know a lot about restaurants because I have eaten out. One thing for sure - it'll be pukka! Stick to school dinners, Jamie.

6. lisilu

lisilu Occasional commenter

I would like to work in said restaurant - I know lots about wine as I have drunk some. Several times.

7. Ooh, can I be sommelier, John? I used to work in the wine trade!

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

I've eaten a lot - and cooked a lot - can I help out??

9. They actually intended to include MFL in their programme. This is a copy of an email I received back in September... Never really fancied appearing on TV though!
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    Dear XXXXX, Many thanks for your help with this request. As mentioned, Jamie Oliver is planning a major new Channel 4 series - ‘Dream School’ - which will offer a second chance at education to a class of 20 teenage pupils. Just like Jamie (and 50% of Britain’s youngsters) our class of 20 left school without the recommended minimum of qualifications (5 GCSEs at A-C grade including English and Maths). Fresh One (Jamie’s company), Channel 4 and Google are setting up ‘Dream School’ to give these teenage ‘underachievers’ the education of a lifetime by having them taught by a fine collection of minds. History will be taught by Dr David Starkey, Science by Professor Robert Winston, Jamie Oliver will head up the Life Skills department, Alastair Campbell will teach politics and communications, Maths is by Carol Vorderman, Alvin Hall will teach about money, photography is by Rankin, Shakespeare by Simon Callow and Poetry by Andrew Motion. Additionally, a team of fantastic sports stars will be in charge of getting the Dream School in shape. At the end of the four week intensive Dream School (we start Sep 27th)the kids will have built up a portfolio of their work, taken a number of written and practical tests and will be ready to be interviewed by the educational institutions who may take them back in to full time education. We are looking to ‘cast’ a language teacher and I wonder if you could suggest a colleague who may be appropriate? Our aim is for the class to have 5 x 90min lessons in which they’re taught relevant phrases and vocab of a foreign language (still tbc) that will help them work towards achieving a challenging and tangible goal. I do hope the intent of the project is evident and the prospect of involvement might appeal to one of your colleagues. There will be an appearance fee for all contributors. Many thanks, Luis
    Luis PulidoD: 020 3375 5155 / <a>luis.pulido@freshone.tv[/URL]F: 020 7251 2749

10. Oooooh how exciting! "An appearance fee"....and maybe a free lunch?

11. OTTER: When the Chilean miners were rescued, I remember seeing a newscaster speaking to one of the men in Spanish (I forget which channel). I remember this occasion very distinctly as it's the only time I've seen it happen!!

12. Now you mention it I do have a vague recollection of that. There should be much more of that. Excellent.

13. mpc

mpc

It was on the BBC but I can't remember the guy's name.

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm not 100% positive, but I seem to remember hearing that the BBC insists on language ability from "resident" reporters in a foreign country.

15. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I don't know how it would be possible not to, and still be any good at your job as a reporter... The BBC correspondent in Russia certainly speaks fluent Russian...

16. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

'Twas Tim Willcox. And the very linguistically-talented Matt Frei did some too.
    [​IMG]

17. I don't think this programme has much to do with teaching (so few contact hours with the difficult children? Not having to ever teach them again after? Yes please!) and certainly not much to do with GCSE. The teacher of Latin (Mary Reilly I believe) set her own target of having students read two verses in the original Latin. I wonder what this achieve you at GCSE? Yet another fail?

18. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

One of the News 24 presenters, youngish [to me at least] white male but I don&acute;t remember his name, covered the Chilean miners story over several days and certainly impressed me with his proficiency by conducting live interviews in Spanish and translating the replies to English en passant.

19. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Apologies for not having read the whole thread to date before posting.

But at least my post helps contribute to the deserved praise.

20. Last year during reports on the Polish air disaster I remember seeing the Polish correspondent interview several people in Polish and translate straight back into English for the camera.... it was a women but can't remember her name.