1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jamie Oliver's Dream School & Ofsted

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by bobspoons, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Any comments on Ofsted grades ( or development points ) for the teaching staff of Dream School.
    Starkey- teaching (4)
    Callow- teaching (4)

2. Any comments on Ofsted grades ( or development points ) for the teaching staff of Dream School.
    Starkey- teaching (4)
    Callow- teaching (4)

3. David Starkey's second lesson was quite good after he took advice from the music teacher.
    Many will recognise the mouthy class that wont shut up.
    A school/department/teacher needs to create the conditions where teaching can take place before trying to teach. It was unkind to shove someone like David Starkey in front of an unruly class. The inevitable happened.
    It is television remember. It wouldn't be watchable if they hadn't engineered this situation.
    I reckon that in a few weeks time you will be able to give quite good Ofsted grades. After all, how many schools have these sort of resources to use with their most challenging classes?

4. But there is an important here.
    Is it possible to have a good lesson ( David Starkey's lesson) but still fall short when it comes to using the ofsted evaluation schedule?
    Obviously, he'd get a huge tick for subject knowledge, but
    use of resources?
    planning effectively?
    marking and dialogue?
    students knowing how to improve?
    Assessment?

5. It's a TV show about engaging kids whom the system has failed in education. I'd expect to see them worry about Ofsted about as much as a Business Studies teacher worries about Lord Sugar coming in to class to fire them.
    Children and adults learn things all the time without learning objectives in flashing lights, pace markers, targets etc.... When I learned to ride a motorbike there was a few hours of theory. It would have ticked few Ofsted boxes but I learned something none-the-less.