1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jamie Oliver BTEC Level 2 Home Cooking Skills HELP!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by staceylea, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am in desperate need of some help. I will be starting my first teaching post in September and I have been given the task of introducing yr 10 SEN students to Jamie's BTEC Level 2! Does anyone have a SOW for this that I could have please because I really don't know where to start.
    Thanks

2. You can either log on to Edexcel and search for BTEC level 1 Home Cooking Skills or try Jamie Oliver's web site. There you should find masses of resources and the specifications for level 1 and level 2. Good luck, you should enjoy the course

3. The website has a list of recipes divided up into topics such as breakfasts, eggs salads etc. I went through and picked a few suggested recipes for each topic and added a few of our own and then just worked through them building lessons as I went around each recipe. For example when we used sausages I got information about several different types from a supermarket website and we discussed prices, fat content, best value etc we then cooked samples of each and discussed that, the next leson they cooked their own as part of a breakfast. Ours are also SEN groups so I tried to limit the writing required and we did lots verbally and then I would type up a few of the comments and conclusions on the whiteboard with them all contributing and we would print copies out for them to put in their folders. There are a few worksheets on the website but not many.

4. Thats great thanks for your help :) I've been told all of the students in this group are SEN so getting them to contribute to comments and then typing it up for them is a good tip thanks!

5. Hiya,
    Im also doing level 2 with a group of y10 and y11 behavioural pupils, this course is brilliant as writing is minimal. I take the pupils shopping to choose their own ingredients on a single lesson, practical on a double lesson and then evaluate on the next single. Its really good. We choose the recipes together a couple out of each section and then add our own, to practice the skills.
    We are just about to try and add images to the website.
    Take photo's for evidence in the files.