1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

James Norton and others.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jan 26, 2016.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I've just discovered that James Norton played that seriously frightening psychopath in Happy Valley. Now I'm loving him at the Tsar's Ball as Andrei Bolkonski in War and Peace. I just didn't see it. I get so used to people being typecast or bringing their own very recognisable mannerisms to different roles I'm really surprised.
    Going to see Les Liaisons Dangereuses in a couple of weeks with Dominic West and Janet McTeer. it's at the Donmar which is a tiny theatre and you feel almost on stage with them. It is an exciting place to see a play.DW is very good looking but I'm not sure how convincing he is - we'll have to see.

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It took me ages to realise that Pena in Narcos played Oberon Martell in Game of Thrones.
    This will mean nothing if you haven't seen those shows, but thought I'd mention it. ;- )

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

And he's very good looking too! See? common theme.

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

He was lousy in that TV thing about Burton and Taylor.

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Dominic West? I saw that advertised on Netflix and laughed because the casting seemed so weird. Helena-Bonham Carter as Liz Taylor? Hahahahaha.

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

We found ourselves watching "Red Top" on Gold last night. I laughed like a drain, it was so funny.
    If you haven't seen this, seek it out.

I loved Maxine Peake's interpretation of Rebekah Brooks, in the style of Miranda Richardson playing Elizabeth 1st in Blackadder.

coffeekid likes this.
  7. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Think he was the worst psycho ever in Happy Valley. He is generally very dashing, though. And he is an actor. Is it wrong of me to expect actors to be versatile and not just one trick ponies?
    Isn't it up to the actors to reject roles which might lead to them being typecast?

PS
    The dance at the Tsar's ball was so very understated and yet brimming over with passion.
    *swoon*

8. aspensquiver_2

Maxine Peake is perfect. In everything.

ScotSEN likes this.
  9. aspensquiver_2

It was really good. Really.

10. aspensquiver_2

Rubbish. Are you sure you didn't nod off?

11. aspensquiver_2

He was fantastic in The Wire. Equally excellent in The Hour. Very talented and versatile actor. Don't think he is particularly good looking, though.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

[​IMG]

A brocade waistcoat does something for a man I find.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

In my translation of War and Peace, around the second world war, the translator points out that Tolstoy had originally written a 'racier' version of the relationship between Helene and Anatole but then redrafted it.
    I think the production could have done with another six episodes, Dickensian has the equivalent of 10 episodes.
    I suppose the BBC couldn't afford the time filming on historic sets while paying vast amounts to managers, crews and cookery presenters.
    Edited to reduce my embarrassment.

14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I did a dissertation on Les Liaisons Dangereuses a long time ago. Saw the production a while back and fancy seeing the new one to morrow beamed live in cinemas.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ooh - post a review please if you do go.