1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

James - Invited to apply for Leader of KS3 role

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by tinkerbell84, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi James
    I am currently working as an NQT teacher at the school where I did my first placement last year. When I was doing my placement at the school I was invited to apply for a teaching job and I had excellent reports from the school.
    I thoroughly enjoy working at the school and have received tremendous support.
    I have recently been approached to apply for the role of Leader of KS3/Second in Department (there is currently only no second in department) at this school to start in September 2011. At the same time as I was invited to apply I was also told in confidence that there is another position that is on the cards for next year which is potentially even more suitable for me but at the moment the Assistant Headteacher can not tell me much about this role. I suspect that this could potentially be related to the second subject I teach as at present I am effectively running and managing this subject (there are only 2 teachers including myself).
    At the same time the Assistant Headteacher and my Head of Department have said that, although they would love for me to apply, they don't want to put too much pressure on me and it is entirely my decision.
    I would really like to progress in this school and am keen to develop.
    Realistically, what are the expectations of a second in department role? Would it be worth applying or am I better to trust the judgement of the Assistant Head and hold out for the "potentially better role"?
    Thanks very much for the advice.

2. Hi James
    I am currently working as an NQT teacher at the school where I did my first placement last year. When I was doing my placement at the school I was invited to apply for a teaching job and I had excellent reports from the school.
    I thoroughly enjoy working at the school and have received tremendous support.
    I have recently been approached to apply for the role of Leader of KS3/Second in Department (there is currently only no second in department) at this school to start in September 2011. At the same time as I was invited to apply I was also told in confidence that there is another position that is on the cards for next year which is potentially even more suitable for me but at the moment the Assistant Headteacher can not tell me much about this role. I suspect that this could potentially be related to the second subject I teach as at present I am effectively running and managing this subject (there are only 2 teachers including myself).
    At the same time the Assistant Headteacher and my Head of Department have said that, although they would love for me to apply, they don't want to put too much pressure on me and it is entirely my decision.
    I would really like to progress in this school and am keen to develop.
    Realistically, what are the expectations of a second in department role? Would it be worth applying or am I better to trust the judgement of the Assistant Head and hold out for the "potentially better role"?
    Thanks very much for the advice.