1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

James - Induction Conditions at an Acedemy?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by PaulDG, Jul 18, 2011.

1. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Hi James,
    I'm trying to clarify the difference between an NQT's rights in the independent sector and at a state academy.
    Independents, I know, do not have to offer Induction to an NQT (after all, they can employ anyone they like under any terms that are agreed). However, most do offer it and, where they do, the Independent schools' induction panel requires the school to offer the 10% timetable reduction and enforces other elements such as atttendance at training days, mentor support & and induction tutor.
    What must Academies do? Do they have the choice, as Independents do, to offer Induction or not? And if they do (or must) offer induction, must they provide the 10% timetable reduction?
    Thanks.

2. PaulDG

Hang on, I think I can answer at least one of my own questions.
    From the Statutory Guidance it seems to me Adacemies have the option not to offer induction (it's phrased as "if they do", perhaps suggesting that they're under no obligation to do it at all, not that they're opting out), but there is a paragraph about having a timetable similar to other NQTs in relevant schools.
    So I suppose the answer to the question about the timetable reduction rather depends on what a relevant school is.
    (Our unions were absolutle pants over all this stuff, weren't they? From what I can tell, the employer has all the rights and teachers have all the responsibility. I know some year 11s who are better negotiators than that lot!)

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They do not have to provide induction or the 10% reduction (or PPA, for that matter).

4. In short if they offer induction it must be the full package, they cannot pick and choose which bits to offer or not (it is the same in the independent sector, all or nothing).
    James

5. PaulDG

Ah, Thanks.