1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jam making

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Jul 16, 2015.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Yes indeed. It is now the time for preserving too many strawberries and raspberries.

So I made the jars super clean etc ... after adding jam, I put on waxed paper, but , it vexed me, that I had to touch the paper with my fingers after hours and hours of being super clean. Even putting the rubber seal onto my few Kilner jars had to be done with my yucky hands.

It's too hard I tell you. Too hard.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Well i did it with my mucky fingers some 12 years ago and the jam is still unspoilt in the jar.On day i will taste it and see if its as good as it looks.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

The waxed paper isn't sterile so I wouldn't worry!

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

You only worry when there's more green fur on the top of the jam than there is jam underneath the green fur.

5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Jam fungus won't hurt you. Just excavate the jam out from underneath.

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Oh bless Tessers.

I have been cured of my fear of jam fungus!

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Pleased to be of service! x

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

When we first moved in here, we found many jars of homemade jam in one of the kitchen cupboards. Goodness knows how long it had been there, as the jars looked vey old. One or two were spotted with fungus but all of them were delicious!!

9. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

My daughter and SIL both NHS workers never sterilised the bottles for their babies. They just rinsed them and occasionally used hot water and detergent. later they had a dish washer but would still just rinse and go. Their kids have never had any tummy upsets etc.

There must be a lot more nasties both bacterial and chemical in our over processed food chain than can get into my jam.

Although, I am a very mucky woman, with matching kitchen.

10. oldsomeman

Have you tried washing dear.it gets rid of muck lol

11. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I am not renowned for my cleaning activities around the home. Otherwise I do personally get a bath every so often.

12. oldsomeman

Think you need to get a pesonalised washer in the bath/shower to encourage you in clean habits my dear LOL

13. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I made some strawberry jam last week. You just need to dishwasher the jars and lids and then oven them on 180 for 10 mins, and there are no bacteria. Apart from that always know the jam will set harder than it appears in the pan, especially if you use Certo ( pectin) Mine is just lubberly, but i took it off a little before I thought it was ready but the cooling process made it spot on. It is very much a process of trial and error and in the end the eye will tell you when it's just so, as I have learned from concrete jells to sloppy compotes ( a nice name for a failed jam). Forget that cold plate stuff, and look at the color ( colour), and always de-scum with a spoon and add a **** of butter to clear it. And why in this message do I have color as the correct spelling? And not colour?

14. tidal

tidal New commenter

Waste of good fruit

Make wine instead

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

16. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Something went wrong with a batch of blackberry jam that my mother made once and it started fermenting in the jars. It smelt pleasantly boozy and had a bit of a kick.