1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jacob's grammar list

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smoothnewt, Jul 27, 2019.

1. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

cassandramark2 and cissy3 like this.
  2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Thank goodness he's not in charge of education. Even Gove didn't suggest going back to Imperial measurements. Now how many pecks do make a bushel?

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

This is his latest advice:

539C7540-A089-41F2-AAEF-77182B1CB940.jpeg

4. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I was taught not to use a comma after ‘and’ and stuck to that religiously until recently when a post here persuaded me that there are times when using one does aid clarity (I also confess to using commas a bit too freely, though).

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

One of his banned phrases is "no longer fit for purpose". Perhaps he's worried it might be applied to himself.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Has the pomous overbearing nineteenth century gasbag got nothing better to do? Does he not understand that we are in the 21st century and that language evolves? I mean, like, I get Shakespeare, innit, but he is totes a plonker, LOL.

7. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I also use double spacing after a full stop but I've noticed on TES that the double spacing is removed when I post.

SundaeTrifle and smoothnewt like this.
  8. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

This is what they call a dead cat.

tonymars, monicabilongame and cissy3 like this.
  9. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Stuck up snob.

Sally006 likes this.
  10. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I wonder about his thinking on this. If the writer is adding information after the and, which is not uncommon, then a comma at that point is correct. I wonder if he actually means before the and, but as an Oxford man he should be in favour of the ‘Oxford comma’.

Most of his style guide is only good grammar, along with a desire to avoid cliches. He should, however, be focussed on more important things.

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Don't you mean "cattus mortuus est"? (For the Mogg-one.)

lunarita likes this.
  12. Ivartheboneless

Is he going to clamp down on statistics and mathematics use by the government for them to use those correctly. HMG has not used percentages correctly for years. (Mind you his own party's figures do not add up!)

13. smoothnewt

Apologies. That was my mistake. I should have posted "comma before and", which is what is stated on his list.

14. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

[​IMG]
    As for the Rees-Moggian rules below, I think it's been quite a while since I last received a letter addressed to me with "Esq." printed after my name. And why is "Mr" proscribed when "Miss" and "Ms" are permitted?
    [​IMG]

Wotton likes this.
  15. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

The calculations are going to be much more difficult using Roman numerals.

16. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Oh, and I was brought up to believe that "full stop" was written as two words.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I understand he'll be upgrading The House's information technology too:

[​IMG]

18. smoothnewt

Actually, the list does stipulate no comma after “and”, which is something I would not normally do. Why would you? I had instinctively interpreted it as “no comma before and”, which I do feel sometimes adds clarity.

peter12171 likes this.
  19. smoothnewt

How about:
    We went to the coast and, in spite of the best efforts of the weather to spoil our day, we had a good time.

The comma after “and” sits well, I feel.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I disagree with the Imperial measurements bit...

No issue with anything else.

JL48 likes this.