1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jack Reacher books

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Dec 11, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

These are a guilty pleasure of mine... but ...

Getting a bit... repetitive...

Reading ''Make Me''... only 60 pages in...

Reacher arrives in a town... he stumbles across nefarious goings on... he uses his wits and his fists and solves the mystery... the bad guys deliberately seem to rile Reacher up, making life a lot harder for them...

Well... OK...

sbkrobson and sabrinakat like this.
  2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

o, well, I was just about to start that one this evening! No good then?

3. rararasputin

rararasputin Occasional commenter

'Make Me' is ok - a darn sight better than 'Personal', which was just awful.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I think I've read all but the last one but have gone off them at the moment....:(

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No no don't get me wrong... it's decent!

[sorry for the slow response]

Just... may have read too many of them recently.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Agreed... Personal was... yeah awful.

7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I was an avid fan but I'm not rushing to get the latest one. I will wait until it comes down in price on Kindle.

I have never seen any of the films. For me Tom Cruise is not how I imagine Jack Reacher to be.

newromantic likes this.
  8. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

I enjoy reading about everyone's reading material - for ideas and the suggestions have kept me busy!
    My guilty pleasure is the DCI Ryan series that began with 'Holy Island'.

9. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Sounds similar to how I feel reading the Sword of Truth book series.

10. newromantic

newromantic Occasional commenter

Totally agree with Jesmond12. Tom Cruise just doesn't cut it as Reacher for me..... to short!

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Gave up on Reacher ages ago ... same old ... ( toothbrush out of the back pocket stuff .., o_O)....

12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I found that at paragraph level. I've tried a couple, finished one, photocopied extracts from another for a class to rip apart.
    :D

13. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Are they detective books?

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Late reply... sort of modern A-Team [the old TV show] and The Fugitive... lead character stumbles across nefarious goingson... and trouble ensues...

Agreeing with the folks saying that Cruise isn't Reacher for them... Dave Bautista maybe?

peggylu likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah I get what you mean... they're safe and disposable... airplane fodder, not brain food.

sabrinakat likes this.
  16. brawlassie

brawlassie New commenter

Quite like the Reacher books. However, Tom Cruise ruined the films - would much rather have Dwayne the Rock as Reacher. Mmmmm.......

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Stumbled on this thread, not sure why I never noticed it before!
    Finally, a safe place on TES where I can share my Reacher addiction without being vociferously derided by those who, strangely, appear not to have read any. I love these books,and have unashamedly reviewed them all at length on GoodReads.
    Amazing, how the written word can be contrived to similar impact to TV; slack jawed, non-analytical reading. You ought to be cynical, but somehow it's all stupidly plausible. Plus the eery dispensibility of one single soap opera episode, because they absolutely do not stand up to re-reading. Eh? How does that work if they're so good??

I just got "No Middle Name", easily digestible Reacher shorts (fnark), and certainly as of yet my favourite ever bus stop read.

lanokia likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Dwayne Johnson would have been a good Reacher yeah.... agreeing with @sbkrobson

19. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

I love the Reacher books, but the quality has dropped off a lot. "Make Me" was virtually unreadable.

Reacher is a complete fantasy character. He's the guy who blows into town, beats up the bad guys, solves the mystery, isn't cocky (he's just right about everything), sleeps with the best looking woman in the book and then walks off into the sunset. He doesn't need anything except his toothbrush. His skills remain at special forces peak and despite not practising with a pistol, he can still shoot flies off a honey jar.

In reality, he would be a scruffy, out of condition tramp, with outdated skills, hopelessly out of touch with reality and probably showing signs of mental illness. But that doesn't make such a good hero. They are great travel books because you know what you are going to get and my 'situational awareness' doubles when I've read one. I find myself drinking coffee, looking across the airport departure lounge for people who might need a beating, and - of course - any good looking blondes that seem to be distressed.

I also thought that Tom Cruise - 'person of restricted height' though he may be - did nail the essential cocky charm that Reacher needs to have.

If you like Reacher, then you should try Burke - more hard-boiled than Roman armour: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_(series)