1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

J-1 Visa

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by LiveToWin, Sep 21, 2020.

1. LiveToWin

LiveToWin Established commenter

Dear All,

Apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere; I did search the site but didn't come up with anything.

I am thinking about working in the USA on a J-1 visa, which allows non-US nationals to teach in state or private schools for up to 5 years as part of a cultural exchange programme. There are several companies which offer assistance with placement in schools, or this can be arranged independently.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has used this scheme, or similar, to learn about your experiences, advantages, pitfalls, advice etc.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Try searching the forum for US, USA, teaching in America... It's been discussed a lot.

3. LiveToWin

Thank you, I will!

4. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

J-1 visas are currently suspended until December. I worked for 2 years on a J-1 - you need a school to sponsor you. It can't be done independently as the employer has to be on an approved list.

5. LiveToWin

Thanks, Treesa,

I didn't know it had been suspended but I am looking to go in a year or two, so hopefully it will start up again at some point. I have been in contact with a couple of schools directly and also an agency from the approved list.