1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IWB - Which one?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by lkcunnu2, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I currently work in a large school that all have promethean IWB! I'm moving to a very small village school that doesn't even have an IWB in my new room. The head has said i can have one i just have to pick. The Junior classroom has a smartboard. I have no idea, should i get a smartboard so the school matches or get a promethean as it's what i know! Help!!!
    Any advice

2. Hi,
    I currently work in a large school that all have promethean IWB! I'm moving to a very small village school that doesn't even have an IWB in my new room. The head has said i can have one i just have to pick. The Junior classroom has a smartboard. I have no idea, should i get a smartboard so the school matches or get a promethean as it's what i know! Help!!!
    Any advice

3. We found that Smart also provided a fair bit of training - which went down well with my colleagues. Not sure if they still offer it. But worth asking

4. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Both boards do pretty much the same job. The difference between them is how the writing is recognised. Prometheans are hard boards that pinpoint where the pen touches the board. Only the pen will be recognised, so this prevents the annoying 'brush' mark when you touch the other type of board. Smartsoft boards have a gel layer that is used to register touches. This can lead to the dreaded smudge mark when writing, and the whole layer would need to be replaced if any rips appear (unlike the hard promethean). However, the smartsoft does allow more than one pen to be used at a time.
    I've used smartsofts with primary schools and prometheans with secondary for this reason (little kids love touching the board, big kids do but prefer writing).
    However, I would have two things in my mind when picking the board;
    1. What does the rest of the school have? Not only is this so the pupils are used to the operation of one board, but when you're talking group / whole school planning having interactive resources you can all create and all plug into using the same board software is an advantage.
    2. Which software do you and then pupils prefer to use. Smart software is easy and looks 'fun', promethean looks more complicated and scientific more 'work' like
    Good luck

5. Has anyone used an LCD screen in the classroom? I have a chance to get one and they seem great. Are there any drawbacks or things to look out for?
    Thanks

6. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

The latest Promethean boards work with both pens and touch. They can work with two pens and two touches simultaneously.

7. Hi I have installed promethean in our school because the software is better i.e. the capture camera tool. You can also buy duel pen. Another advantage is WWW.prometheanplanet.co.UK as loads of prepared resources have been uploaded by teachers

Hope this is useful