1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IVF treatment

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by xshellbellex, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Been TTC for 14 months, due to medical problems and past surgery I was referred to the fertility clinic after a year.

Just had my first appointment with the clinic and they said I am ovulating fine, hormone levels normal and hubbies sperm is excellent. Due to extensive abdominal surgery I have at least one of my fallopian tubes with scar tissue. Doctor has decided to do no further tests and suggested IVF, all i need now is a scan of my womb and ovaries. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't come to IVF but kind of knew in my heart that would be what they suggested. The Doctor didn't want to bother with dye in my tubes as she said the results might show my tubes are open but the scar tissue might be stopping the egg getting through, they also don't want to be messing with my insides due to past surgery.

They have suggested waiting another 6 months of TTC then straight to IVF, disappointing we have to wait another 6 months but at least there is no waiting list for IVF treatment. Only get one shot of IVF on NHS too, which is rubbish when other areas get 3

What are peoples experiences with IVF, how long does the process take? How much does it cost for private IVF treatment? Any good websites?
    Need to start doing my research now. Other problem is we are being sent to Oxford for IVF so well over an hour away from where we live

Thanks
    Michelle

2. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

Have a look on the fertility treatment thread, which is full of friendly supportive people all going through the same thing as you, but at different stages. I am 3-4 weeks away from giving birth to my first IVF/ICSI baby, which was our second attempt. 1st was free on NHS but 2nd cost a few thousand pounds.
    From ttc to getting pregnant with 2nd ICSI was about 4 years, give or take. It is an emotional roller coaster, but I am hoping that in a few weeks I will be able to say it's all worth it!
    Oxford have a good reputation I have heard.

3. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

I have no experience of IVF, but wondered if I could butt in on this thread. How do you find out your NHS entitlement for your area re IVF treatments?
    Good luck with it all Shellbell.

4. I just did a search on the internet, took a bit of digging but found something but didn't get it confirmed that it is only one free till I spoke to fertility Doctor. Your own GP might know

5. Toe - I had a look on my PCT website and they have all the information there.
    Shellbell - I had a look at the London Clinic they offer free IVF if youd onate half of your eggs, I dont know if that would suit your situation but I certainly considered it as my OH has children from a previous marriage so we wouldnt get anything on the NHS.
    Jen x

6. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

But you might need all of your eggs! I had 8 eggs, 7 fertilised, 5 survived and 2 were suitable for transfer and 2 were frozen. Personally, it is too much of a draining process and emotional/time investment to have reduced our chances by half, but that is just my opinion and circumstances.
    Also, someone else would be paying the London clinic a great deal of money for your eggs and how would you feel if you were unsuccessful with your half, knowing somebody else could have been successful with your eggs?
    Again, this is just my opinion and someone else's circumstances may be completely different. VG

7. Thanks!! Think I need to win the lottery so I can pay to have it done privately!! lol!! Don't think I stand a chance of getting help on the NHS although I will book an appointment and beg!! Wish me luck!!

8. IVF (in vitro fertilization) treatment proved to be the most successful treatment to overcome infertility which is a barrier for many couples to become parent. In an IVF conception, doctor retrieves eggs from woman ovary and mixes them with man's sperm in a laboratory dish for fertilization. They grow into an embryo which then transferred back to women uterus for further growing. The time period to complete one IVF cycle varies from four to 10 weeks as couples might undergo three to five cycles for successful pregnancy. It is true that the cost of this treatment remains quite high, but if you compare the result and cost, it all covers a difference.