1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IVF sex selection

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Oct 11, 2018.

?

Medical conditions aside, should parents be able to select the sex of their unborn children?

1. No, I would be happy & privileged to be a parent to any child

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. Yes, I am a control freak

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Unethical, illegal but available at a price:

RT.com, 11th October 2018.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Not a weighted poll at all.

Moony, nomad, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

"Medical conditions aside". Some congenital abnormalities are sex linked, so some parents may only be able to have a healthy child of one sex.

nomad, Pageant and slingshotsally like this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

You choose the co-parent of your child on current emotional, physical and social characteristics, all of which are liable to change.
    Choosing the sex of the resulting children seems fairly minor in comparison.

5. Vince_Ulam

So how did or would you vote?

6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It is currently an illegal activity. Those doctors who are prepared to do this, and to take money for it, should be struck off. Having gone through IVF I have to say that the vast majority of prospective IVF parents don’t care what sex the baby is as long as it’s healthy (they might have a preference, but that is all).

Jamvic and Vince_Ulam like this.
  7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Such conditions can produce healthy male children...its 50:50 if any male child is affected.
    Current legislation means gender selection is only available in such conditions if female embryos are used, not male. Females can be free of disease but can also be carriers, who's ons have a 50:50 chance of having the condition.
    It's complicated, but I do not agree with gender selection simply for gender.

8. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I'd be happy for any baby... But then, we've struggled to conceive and had a miscarriage last year so I'm probably biased.

We "wanted" a girl, but are expecting a boy and are absolutely delighted. Any baby we have will be much-loved.

nomad, lanokia, Dragonlady30 and 7 others like this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

Congratulations to all three of you, @Sillow.

Sillow, Dragonlady30 and Jamvic like this.
  10. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

No, I cannot go along with people choosing the sex of their child. Nature does it very well.

11. Aquamarina1234

Nature does it randomly and without consideration. That's good because...

12. Aquamarina1234

If my choice were a child of either sex or no child then obviously for god's sake I wouldn't care. It's not a free choice.

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

whats the worst that can happen? imbalance of sexes, so reproduction rate will presumably fall ever so slightly for the next generation. not a bad thing? maybe bad thing for people who can't find partners?

maybe that wouldn't happen anyway, because the number of parents that could afford it and would want it is minuscule, and they would not all want the same thing.

maybe nothing at all will happen

my gut instinct says NO, but its hard to say why.

Particularly when its perfectly acceptable to state your preference when you adopt

14. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I suppose it has the advantage of stopping some people having more and more babies until they get the gender they want.
    We don't get everything we want in life and we need to start accepting that.

peter12171 likes this.
  15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I know what you mean, my first response was that it is wrong, but then I'm not entirely sure why that might be.

China and India have amongst the most skewed ratios and with their huge populations have the biggest absolute numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_sex_ratio

..though China is possibly/probably not as much as reported as during the one-child policy apparently many girls were simply not registered.

The worst I can think is that it leads to an imbalance of partners during the earlier part of life. After WW1 in particular there was an imbalance of young men, but did anything particularly tangible happen because of this? It's not like it's going to ever end up hugely skewed is it?

16. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

No it isn't. My mother was the eldest of seven girls and they all wanted a brother. I was then born (woman) and yes, it was OK, but when my mother and her sisters had a boy, my goodness, they were spoilt to bits and we were all aware of this. How their mothers mollicoddled them. Do we still use that expression?

17. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I'd say that the worst that would happen is that it would give a sense of legitimisation to misogyny and misandry (had to learn that one!) that would make it harder to address. How can you explain to a child that both genders are equal when their parents have chosen one over another?

dunnocks likes this.
  18. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

One of my relatives had 4 boys no girls but the grandchildren number 5 girls and 1 boy. Just be happy you have a healthy child no matter what the sex.

peter12171 likes this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Proper order.

dunnocks likes this.