1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IVF question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by star100, Feb 12, 2012.

1. star100

star100 New commenter

Hi I know there is a fertility treatment thread but I have just got a couple of questions if anyone can help.

I need to have ivf with icsi as husbands sperm count too low/too abnormal etc. My gp has agreed to make referral for us to receive ivf. However there is a 12-18 month wait in my area for Nhs ivf and we do not want to wAit that long so will defo do first round private. The clinic we want to use is our most local and I know they accept Nhs patients. When I saw the gp however she said I could only be refered to two hospitals for Nhs ivf both of which are some way from where we live and not sure if either even have a private option. Do you know if you can stipulate where you have your Nhs ivf (as long as you know they are willing to do ivf) as if my first ivf cycle which we will pay for is not successful we may get subsequent rounds done on the Nhs. It does seem daft to gave one round done at one place and then have to change to another place for subsequent rounds. Does anybody have experience of this?

Also will Nhs ever fund ivf for a second child?

Thanks in advance I don't know if I'm thick but find getting answers from go very tricky

2. star100

star100 New commenter

Hi I know there is a fertility treatment thread but I have just got a couple of questions if anyone can help.

I need to have ivf with icsi as husbands sperm count too low/too abnormal etc. My gp has agreed to make referral for us to receive ivf. However there is a 12-18 month wait in my area for Nhs ivf and we do not want to wAit that long so will defo do first round private. The clinic we want to use is our most local and I know they accept Nhs patients. When I saw the gp however she said I could only be refered to two hospitals for Nhs ivf both of which are some way from where we live and not sure if either even have a private option. Do you know if you can stipulate where you have your Nhs ivf (as long as you know they are willing to do ivf) as if my first ivf cycle which we will pay for is not successful we may get subsequent rounds done on the Nhs. It does seem daft to gave one round done at one place and then have to change to another place for subsequent rounds. Does anybody have experience of this?

Also will Nhs ever fund ivf for a second child?

Thanks in advance I don't know if I'm thick but find getting answers from go very tricky

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You'll not get IVF for a second child on the NHS.
    Be aware that waiting lists for private treatment are longer around here than they are for NHS help - you can't assume that you'll be seen whilst waiting for NHS help!
    I think you can ask to be referred to a certain hospital, but not stipulate it. How lucky to have a choice though! My nearest is 65 miles away... and the next one is about 120 miles.

4. Ah - just wrote something on the low sperm count thread but will put it here too incase you didn't see it on the other thread. Some PCTs will not necessarily fund IVF if you have already had it privately:
    "Couples who have received 3 or more cycles (whether fresh or frozen) previously for fertility problems, regardless of whether the treatment was funded by the NHS or privately funded, will not be eligible for NHS funding."
    This is the PCT guidance for where I live - I would double check the small print for your PCT as options vary widely from one PCT to another, it's definitely a postcode lottery.
    They definitely do not fund a sibling in my PCT - we were entitled to 2 x NHS funded cycles of IVF, but would only qualify for the second round if the first one was unsuccessful. We didn't have a choice where to receive our NHS treatment and our hospital was 1 hour's drive away but fortunately was one of the best success rates in our area anyway.
    I would echo what Lilac said too - someone on the Been TTC for Ages thread put their name on the private list in April last year and is only just starting treatment so private doesn't always mean quicker.
    Hope that helps x
    <font face="Arial"></font>