1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've reduced my hours this term, should I get paid for my old hours during Easter hols?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by panda97, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    This summer term I am now working 0.4 part-time, from September I had been working 0.6 hours.
    My new 0.4 contract started on the 2nd April (so first day of the holidays) - which will mean I won't get paid for my 0.6 hours during the Easter break. Is this right? I would have thought the contract should have started on the 16th April when the new term started? I haven't yet signed the new contract. I've spoken to the council who issued the contract but they say the start date is on advice from the head-teacher so I need to speak to the head.
    Any advice would be gratefully received!

2. Hi there,
    This summer term I am now working 0.4 part-time, from September I had been working 0.6 hours.
    My new 0.4 contract started on the 2nd April (so first day of the holidays) - which will mean I won't get paid for my 0.6 hours during the Easter break. Is this right? I would have thought the contract should have started on the 16th April when the new term started? I haven't yet signed the new contract. I've spoken to the council who issued the contract but they say the start date is on advice from the head-teacher so I need to speak to the head.
    Any advice would be gratefully received!

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Yes you do. Perhaps explain that you thought you might get paid for the holiday period on your previous contracted hourly

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Summer term officially starts on 1st May.
    Those who resign to leave at the end of the Spring term, and aren't going to another school, resign as of 30th April.
    If they are going to another school, an earlier leeave date is agreed and they start at the new school on the first day after the Spring break, with the old school paying up to that point.
    Do not sign the contract.
    I'd contact the LA HR dept and say that there's been a mistake and the new contract date should be the 16th April. They may tell you to alter the contract and initial the alteration. If so, take a copy and return it with a covering letter pointing them to the agreed alteration on page x .... and then check your pay carefully.
    There are 30 days in April so checking the figures will be easy. You will need to see gross monthly pay as a total of HALF of your usual gross pay + one THIRD of normal gross pay, so five SIXTHS overall of your March gross pay.
    May onwards will be two THIRDS of your past monthly gross pay.