1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've quit my second placement

Discussion in 'Primary' started by timlondinium, May 23, 2011.

1. timlondinium

timlondinium New commenter

Hi, just a few weeks shy of completing my PGCE I've quit my second placement. I chose to live far from campus so dealt with a few hours commuting each day, for my second placement in particular, on some days it was a two hour journey in and home.
    I had spoken to the course leader to try and get somewhere nearer to my home and even provided a list of possible schools the university had a relationship with. By the time it had been decided where my second school placement was, I was nursing my wife through illness and did not contend it.
    The Deputy Head stressed to me that I was not failing, but I had been
    moved from 80 to 60 percent as my lesson content and my behaviour
    management were deteriorating.
    Both myself and my mentor were guilty of being non-communicative. We
    never had a set time to speak and by the time we began to communicate
    better, it was too late.I was managing to complete session plans,
    assessments, evaluations and all the other paperwork. Ultimately though, I was exhausted.
    While I don't regret stopping the second placement I now realise I should have consulted a doctor to get signed off, as opposed to sending an email to my course tutor yesterday, while at a particularly low ebb.
    Having spoken to the PGCE course leader, it now looks as though I will need to repeat the entire second placement in the autumn term. After all the work I have done and so close to the end this is inevitably dissapointing and elevates my already low self-esteem. I am meeting her later this week. Should anyone have any advice as to what I should say to my course leader I'd be very grateful. I still have a determinate to teach but had to make a difficult decision to spare my health.

2. I refused to do my second placement because theyvwere trying to send me somewhere where I knew I wouldn't be supported. I did an extra four weeks on my third placement, finished in July and was employed full time and permanently in September.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I dropped out of my last placement for mental health reasons. I had done all the planning and was ready to go when I started to feel that I couldn't face the children or the particularly unsupportive teacher.
    Have never regretted it and did my final placement a term later in a lovely school.
    Take a break, recoup your energies and do the placement when you're in a better place. Good luck.

4. I quit my third placement 5 weeks in - tutor was a *** and any support systems were totally lacking in the school. Resat the next term and went from 'satisfactory' to 'outstanding', and had a fairly stress-free two terms on long-term supply before starting my NQT year. It's not the end of the world!
    I personally think there is something to be said for being honest and speaking for yourself rather than hiding behind a GP's note. When you get your own class it's all about personal accountability so just treat this as good practice in standing up for yourself.
    Best of luck [​IMG]