1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've put on 5 pounds since my school closed.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WB, Apr 4, 2020.

1. WB

WB Senior commenter

According to my spreadsheet, I'll be at least 3 stone heavier before the lockdown ends.

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

only 5 pound? you are doing better than me. I think its agitation, when I am annoyed, worried, stressed, upset, I get up and wander to the fridge.

WB likes this.
  3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It’s a worry, isn’t it?
    I was very pleased with my pre-lockdown fitness regime: gym and swimming at least three times a week. Difficult to try to create an equivalent in these lockdown days. The good weather in the week ahead should help. We went for a jog this morning and I have done a lot of gardening this afternoon. Trouble is I found an unopened bottle of port (Christmas present) and have got into the habit of having a late afternoon port and crisps treat, which is not helping matters.
    One day at a time...

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Lay off the pasta.

magic surf bus and WB like this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

smoothnewt likes this.
  6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Weirdly, I have lost weight since being in lockdown. I think there is a distinct lack of cake involved. Which puzzles me as everyone knows there are no calories in cake if you cut it into pieces before you eat it.

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

So much so that the bottle was drained this evening.
    :(

Jolly_Roger15 and Scintillant like this.
  8. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

I usually have cereal for breakfast and then a main meal around 4pm and that serves as lunch and dinner! Usually chilli, jacket potato, bolognese etc. Snacks wise it is fruit, rice cakes or a cereal bar. I'm trying to lose weight but in the first week I literally consumed my entire chocolate supply, I have none left now.

mountainchris2 likes this.
  9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I think I've lost weight. I'm getting up later than usual some days and I don't feel very hungry. No meals out or visits to friends for meals either.

catmother and Scintillant like this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I'm losing a few pounds. More time to cook, no junk in the house, so eating better. No meat, lots of my own veg. Improved sleep patterns, an empty beach for exercise, time to read and watch films. Things are more restful in general.

A bit less wine might help though.

red_observer likes this.
  11. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

True. And if you break a biscuit before you eat it, all the calories fall out.

Lala24, mothorchid, coffeekid and 5 others like this.
  12. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

And if you wash it all down with Diet Coke it washes the calories away...

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Somebody was on the news today who has apparently done the equivalent in stair climbing to a trek up Everest.
    Here I am (for the second time today as it happens), watching that very news

[​IMG]

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

15. WB

WB Senior commenter

Climbing Everest needs oxygen when you get near the. The NHS are already short - selfish @#&@.

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well I needed oxygen just watching it, tbh.

Malteser, anyone?

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

MEEEE TOOOOO!

18. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I think I’m losing weight. We are not eating junk we are not eating a lot... we refuse to queue up outside shops. We go walking. We are more restful. Might get used to it...!

install and WB like this.
  19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Climbing Everest. Leaving everything else aside, the tourist benefit to poor countries, the environmental thing, the sheer clucking pointless d-ick-waving whole exercise.... why. why would you walk up a mountain to go nowhere? I don't and never have got it. If repeatedly climbing up some stairs in a centrally heated, oxygenated, utility-provided place is in any way supposed to replicate the already pointless exercise of vertically ascending a big rock, then maybe you could use those (not quite) steps to deliver some groceries, walk some dogs, scrub some graffiti.... I'd admire you then.

celago22 and Wotton like this.
  20. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

I'm really cross I had a grand plan of going out for a run once the kids are in bed as I am no longer working in the evenings. Went for the run yesterday (4 miles) and have really badly injured my foot. Probably aggravated an old ligament injury from a few years ago. So am currently on the sofa drinking rum and coke (to numb the pain). Rather than returning to normality fitter, healthier and slimmer as I hoped, I'll probably be rolling to school with a hangover!