1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've put manure in the veg patch - how long before I can plant?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon63, Jan 12, 2011.

1. I made some raised beds in my garden this weekend and I've filled them with soil, garden compost and horse manure. I've dug it in so it's all mixed up with the soil and compost. I know that I'm not supposed to plant anything right away as something in the manure 'burns' the baby things. I have some onion bulbs that I need to plant soon! How soon can I plant in there? It's raining very heavily here and is forecast to do so all week - will this be helping the manure to break up?

2. I have four raised beds. Two of them have fresh manure on, one I think has rotted down a bit and one has nothing on at all. It's onion sets I have. It seems I can plant root crops in the 'empty' bed and leave the others until the weather warms up and then plant my usual stuff in them as this won't be until the Easter hols. Is there anything I can do to help it to rot down quicker?

3. Worms.

4. Me? I'd plant them out in the nothing added bed.
    Remember that onions are not all that enamoured of overly rich soil. I remember reading somewhere that over-fertilised onions don't keep as well as those grown a bit 'harder'.