1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've not even done one marathon

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 20, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

robyn148 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

He's quite used to them though. He's done loads. But it is a magnificent achievement. Mind you, I thought Jo Brand's walk was a magnificent achievement too.

minnie me and Dragonlady30 like this.
  3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

But why make him run up steps at the end, that must have been torture!

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I walked the Dublin Women's Mini-marathon back in 2006 for animal charities. I honestly don't think I could do an actual running one, though.....

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

He is a driven man. i look at him with a mixture of admiration, amazement and distrust. I think he thinks he can do anything. He wants to enter parliament. I'm not sure I would vote for him.

6. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

I haven't done one either and I probably never will. I don't even participate in the annual school fun run - I volunteer to stay behind and supervise the non-participants.

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It is an amazing achievement. I have never been a runner. I had physio after breaking my knee. They offered to help to design a plan so I could do some running. I explained that would be unnecessary!

guinnesspuss and Dragonlady30 like this.
  8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

When my doctor asks about exercise, I always reply that I walk to my car!! :D

I did a quarter marathon it seems like a hundred years ago. I decided then that I would happily pay sponsorship to my friends as my contribution. I now live by Perter O'Toole's adage-'I get all the exercise I need walking behind the coffins of my friends who jogged!!'

guinnesspuss likes this.
  9. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

I've completed thirteen marathons. Nowadays, I prefer to watch tv whilst sipping vodka.

rosievoice, foxtail3 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Much as I admire Eddie in his stand up routines, I don't get what the message of doing a marathon on a daily basis is supposed to impart.

If there's some purpose in it such as providing material for his next comedy tour, I will be interested to hear it, but otherwise it's dull news to me.

I doubt Eddie is alone in running marathons on a daily basis. I would expect marathon runnists to be doing it as well, along with the unemployed who aren't lazy, but seek something to do with their time.

For the most part though, those of us who keep the planet turning, and need to earn a living, would find it impossible to find the time for such ventures. So what's it all about? Would Eddie or anyone else be interested to learn that I, and many others went to work every single day of the month, for months on end, without the chance of taking time out to run a single mile, let alone a marathon?

11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Gee thanks for that!

I've run 3 marathons in my life. Each took a fair bit of training and preparation and I have no desire to repeat the experience and far less interest in doing an Izzard.

It was a magnificent effort on his part though

12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

The reason he did 27 marathons was that each marathon symbolised one of the years Nelson Mandela spent in prison. I suppose the endurance aspect had some symbolism of Mandela's terrible time too. That is also why Izzard finished at that statue.

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Oh OK. Is that something we ought to be asking our employers to have time off work for to do as well then?

What's the chances of getting a day off work to run a marathon for every day that Winston Churchill fought Hitler, and more to run marathons for every day that people were detained without charge in Guantanamo bay?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  14. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

You could try, if you fancy recreating Izzard's feat. Don't forget to ask us all to sponsor you :)

cissy3 likes this.
  15. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I just don't like peanuts*

*The food, not the cartoon

cissy3 likes this.
  16. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes, I was going to say, the nearest I've got to doing a Marathon...
    [​IMG]

17. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

*Snickers*

ValentinoRossi, josienig and cissy3 like this.
  18. josienig

josienig Star commenter

Yis are too smart for yer own good!

Burndenpark likes this.
  19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Amazing achievement.

20. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I'm not exactly built for running (and haven't been since I was 13). I don't fancy the potential black eyes.
    I do admire Eddie Izzard's perseverance and achievement.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.