1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've lost my way. Can anyone help??

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lkbc177, May 3, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I need help! I'm so fed up at work and in most areas of my life and I don't know what to do. I don't feel appreciated at work and I'm single and feel so lonely. Has anyone else felt like this? If so how did you pull yourself out of this rut?? It's not a nice feeling, and I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I just feel down and depressed!

2. Hello,
    I need help! I'm so fed up at work and in most areas of my life and I don't know what to do. I don't feel appreciated at work and I'm single and feel so lonely. Has anyone else felt like this? If so how did you pull yourself out of this rut?? It's not a nice feeling, and I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I just feel down and depressed!

3. First port of call is your GP.

4. Particularly if the GP is good-looking.
    [​IMG]

5. Agreed! It's awful when you feel klike that, but you musn't go through it alone.
    Sometimes these things go in cycles and after a while you come out of it again - at the start of the year I was ready to give up my job, home and friends and start a new career as the littlest hobo - now things seem manageable again. I often find that having small things to look forward to help me to stop focusing on what's not so good (e.g. I may have to teach year 7,8,9,10 and 11 tomorrow - yes, all of them! - but in the evening I'll be drinking wine with friends).
    However, sometimes things don't just sort themsleves out, and the longer you wait to start feeling better, the worse things could get. Talk to someone.

6. You can be a bit dissatisfied with life and a bit down without needing medical treatment for depression!

7. Agreed Airy but surely a face to face with a GP will ascertain that a lot better than we can.

8. It could be that you just need a change of routine and would benefit from a better diet, exercise in the fresh air, joining a few groups and meeting new people.
    But if the GP is good-looking, why not give that a go too?

9. Why not let Ellen screw your GP and then visit the locum. :¬))

10. [​IMG]
    Locums are often newly-qualified doctors so he could be hotter than the GP.

11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i went to the gp with stress related symptoms and all he did was give me tablets for the symptoms. couldn't give a toss about the cause, so that never got treated. never mind, i dealt with all by myself, cos i'm a big girl... :(

12. But Em aren't you a Goth? :¬))

13. Ah I know this feeling well! Back in 2010 I split up with my partner of 5 years whom I loved dearly. I found it very difficult and it took me 2 years to get over it. 6 months later in 2010, my mum was diagnosed with cancer. At that time at work I also had a class whose behaviour was challenging and because of the worries in my personal life I struggled to maintain a nice looking classroom, was often in tears and just wasn't feeling motivated at all at work.
    In 2011, I decided that something had to change. I've always liked singing and so I joined a Rock Choir. I still attend and absolutely love it. It has also boosted my confidence. In August 2011 I decided to go on a holiday alone to France. I love cooking so decided to opt for a cooking holiday.Yes, I was nervous, but once I got there and saw how beautiful the place was all my nerves disappeared instantly. I came back feeling so inspired, I now write a weekly food blog and have become part of a huge UK food blogging community. This has also led to lots of experimenting with recipes at home which has become a new hobby.
    This year, I sang some karaoke with a band at my friend's birthday party. I am now part of that band and singing at a gig tomorrow night! Admittedly, that was more 'luck' than me being proactive, but again it's something to keep me busy and makes me happy.
    I am also single and decided to join match.com I now have a date lined up on Sunday! If it goes well, great, if not at least I've given a try. I definitely agree with going to the GP, but also focus on your interests and find ways to nurture them. Because of doing this, I have become a much happier person and feel like I have finally climbed out of the 'rut' I was stuck in for so long.

14. I sympathise as I am going through the same rut at the moment. I am not happy at work (don't get me wrong I am very thankful for the fact that I have a job). I feel massively lonely at present, all of my friends seem to be getting married and having babies anId I am just left on the shelf so to speak. I just want what they have really but I fear I will never meet anyone and have children. I know I need to get out and meet new people just not sure how. Stay positive!

15. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

I sympathise too! I had reached a pretty good place but lately work is difficult and I'm not enjoying being single so much. I don't want babies and marriage but someone special in my life would be nice. I DO have a good social life but somehow, at the moment, it's just not enough. :(

16. I don't really have much of a social life either which doesn't help. I am also hindered by travel as I was involved in a car accident and ever since then I am uncomfortable and anxious driving which means I avoid using my car as much as possible which also impacts on my social life and dating prospects :(

17. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

Oh, no... that's sad news lil. I'm sorry to hear that. xxx

18. When you are on a bit of a life downer, there are 2 plans of action
    1) Get proactive and change things
    2) If that doesn't work or you find you don't have the drive to do so, go to your GP and have a chat.

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

An old chinese saying is that the hardest part of moving a mountain is the first shovelful.
    the essence of overcoming is firstly recognise its where you are then do something that is not the norm.however little.
    Start small,change one item in life... do a differnt thing,treat yourself to time, to a present,to an experience.......its so easy to sit there and moan..belirve me im the worst at that!
    Medicines are ok....but in the end its down to your self view and confidence. Can you find a friend, a pal who will take you out for a night...do the unusual or different!
    We all fear the unknown.....but when you join a group, a club,do an event you realise yor worries are often unfounded. As this lot say to me on here...just get on. Even if its to treat yourself to a favourite thing.....mmm..food!

20. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I so second that. Going to the GP, in my experience, was the last thing I wanted to do. I took the bull by the horns, so to speak, roped in my friends (a fair few who had experienced the not very happy me) and went for it in terms of getting myself sorted.
    It took a while, and some of it wasn't pretty, but I got myself sorted, and things are so much better.
    A close friend of mine has had issues as well, and we used to moan about it together, she did the GP and medication route, and is coping now too. There are ways and means to get back on the level. None of it is an easy fix, and you have to be aware of the issues as well as the results of those issues. It is hard work, but well worth it.
    Good luck
    B x