1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I’ve hit a wall today.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BetterNow, Apr 7, 2020.

1. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

And there’s nowhere to escape.

Please don’t tell me to put on some music/ do a silly dance/ read a book/ start a new course/ do some exercise/ have a bath

I’ve worked when I’ve been scared (lost a family member), I’ve stayed at home when I’ve been told. I do my work, avoid the shops. I’ve enjoyed the sunlight. I’ve ignored the neighbour's poor taste (...) in music. I’ve kept on top of my physical health. But not anymore, not today :(

I’ll snap out of it, but have nowhere to go to do so.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If it keeps up, there are helplines you could call. Otherwise I'm right out of ideas, though I do have a stunning range of platitudes I could trot out.
    Hope it passes quickly.

3. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

The worst is that my state affects the whole family - I can feel the mood changing (what a weird thing to write, but just wanting to be alone changes the dynamics).

Sally006 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

There's always here.

But then again . . .

Jesmond12 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I felt a bit like this yesterday. I didn’t sleep well last night because of it.

Jesmond12, BetterNow and nomad like this.
  6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Sometimes, when there's a few people about it's better to just not talk for a while. Everyone just go about what they're doing in a calm and peaceful way.

Jamvic, agathamorse and knitone like this.
  7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If you are with your family, what about an (age appropriate) board game?

BetterNow and Jamvic like this.
  8. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Can you talk to your family and explain how you are feeling? You are allowed to have down days, especially now things are so challenging. Being strong and positive for others is draining; is it possible to take a ‘duvet day’ from your family?
    Try to remember that this will pass.
    Take care and go easy on yourself.

9. Lidnod

Lidnod Senior commenter

No-one can sustain unbroken good cheer so don’t beat yourself up about it. You are allowed to be grumpy, miserable, unfair and snappy at times ( I think that list may be a bit too personally revealing! ) Tomorrow is another day. Look after yourself today and do whatever comforts you best.

10. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I was going to say something similar . . . the other people in the OP's house need to learn how to keep their morale up for themselves, without burdening her with the responsibility. I recommend a tactical retreat (long bath, perhaps) and hiding in bed with a good book with a 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the bedroom door.

11. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

find a book
    empty a draw then put stuff away again
    water the plants and have chat with them or a shout
    get your phone book who might benefit from a hello
    lookup some recipes you can do/you can't do
    start again

BetterNow likes this.
  12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

AS others have said
    be kind to yourself. :)

It's a bit like with depression, no amount of people telling you 'snap out of it', try doung this / that helps one iota. Psychologically you want to 'get out of it' yet no matter what you do nothing actually works.
    So acknowledge you've hit a wall. Don't feel obliged to get beyond it- just yet. Indulge yourself doing nothing if that helps, or distracting yourself if that helps.
    Your priority at the moment is YOU.

13. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

sending you lots of love xx

Laphroig, Jamvic, Lidnod and 3 others like this.
  14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It's drawer.

15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@BetterNow - I get like that sometimes, and disappear from the rest of the family with Netflix or a book. Hope it passes soon.

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

It's horrid feeling like that, especially when you're confined to the house! I do a jigsaw and eat jelly babies. And then regret the jelly babies! Sometimes you just will feel bad and sometimes acknowledging that that is ok and normal can help a little bit. Feel free to rant on here as much as you want. I think everyone has similar wobbles (I certainly do) and understand how you feel.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

In the past I have been prone to depression and I have to admit when this all started a couple of weeks ago I was a bit worried.

But so far I really haven't had any issues.

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Maybe not the thread for a spelling lesson?

Flowersinspring and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Same here. I find podcasts a good distraction. There are so many out there.

20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

You can always get the thread locked if it upsets you. Seems to be the fashion just now.

Jamvic likes this.