1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've had enough

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Fanfa, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Fanfa

Fanfa New commenter

I haven't posted for years and years.

I think I've had enough.

Not of teaching but of all the issues surrounding teaching - the politics; the latest trends in training we've got to shoe-horn in; staff promoted above their ability and readiness; being 'old'; being perceived as a trouble maker because I say out loud what other colleagues are thinking but are too afraid to say; I'm tired of staff being encouraged to whistle-blow on each other so that you daren't breathe in case someone, somewhere watching you takes it the wrong way; I'm tired of really pointless meetings and even more pointless CPD; I'm tired of people treading on others to make them selves look better / feel better / do better; I'm fed up of feeling like ****, of feeling anxious, of not feeling good enough.

I'm 49. When I started teaching you could retire at 50. I fell like I am just about finger tip clinging on til I can take early retirement at 55.

riotstar, ACOYEAR8, becky70 and 2 others like this.
  2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Sorry to read this. I completely understand. My fingertips have lost their grip and I'm off. Similar age to you. Good luck with surviving the next few years.

3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I'm 53 in a couple of weeks and am also doing the fingertip cling! I cant afford to go at 55, but am looking at 57/58. The school I work in is largely supportive and the staff all get on well, but i have just had enough of all the pointless tasks that go with teaching.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

tell me more about this retirement at 55.......

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Even though I've always been in supportive schools, I went through a phase of feeling like the OP ... I planned to go as soon as I was 60. Now, a few year on from that big birthday ... I'm still there! Part time now and cutting days down further in September. I know it doesn't work like that for everyone, but somehow, when I knew the opportunity to go was there, I felt more settled and wanted to carry on. I'm much more outspoken now, something to do with the 'nothing to lose' mindset. I'm definitely not looking to move up the ladder or move schools and I won't be asking for a reference! I never mention it at work (and I wouldn't leave them in the lurch) but I quietly know I can give in my notice any time I want to.

Without a doubt, lockdown made me question still working - I enjoyed getting up later, walking every day and just having time to read, bake and do whatever I wanted. I've sort of decided that I'll do one more year after this and then ... who knows?

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I retired at 60. Had enough.
    But the 2 years before I retired I went part time.
    Retirement is the best thing I've done!
    Skint.........................but happy and healthy!

7. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

I completely understand and don't blame you. Move to Scotland. I did. It's so much better.