1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've had enough

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by antoniou, Jul 17, 2011.

1. The title says it all, really. I'm now on cycle 17 of ttc and am more than a little fed up. Every test I've had comes back clear. I ovulate, my hormone levels are what they should be, I've got no fibroids or cysts, OH's SA was good. So why, 17 months on, isn't it happening?
    I've tried grapefruit juice, spent a fortune on pregnancare vitamins, OPKs, conceive plus lubricant, eating jelly, increasing my water intake, elevating hips after dtd, have been using a CBFM for the past 4 months, I've even voluteered to take part in a fertility study. I'm running out of steam. I beginning to think I'll never get pregnant and have a child of my own.
    Everyone around me is pregnant. My cousin had her second at the start of the week and my two best friends are due two weeks apart! I can't even go out without seeing a woman sporting huge bump in front of me! Why is it so hard?
    If one person tells me to relax, I'll scream. I'm sick of the stories of a 'friend' who 'tried for years, gave up and, wow, they had 3 kids really quickly'. I don't want to try for years. I'm sick of doctors/nurses poking around my most private parts of my anatomy. All I ask is that one tiny little swimmer is in the right place at the right time, but despite all my efforts, it appears not even timing helps. [​IMG]

2. (((antoniou)))
    I have been trying for four years now - couldn't tell you what number cycle anymore! Our infertility is unexplained as well so I understand how frustrating it is - I've never been able to get pregnant and I have no idea why. OH and I have had every test under the sun but results all come back fine.
    I'm gearing up for a second IVF cycle in the next few months - this stage is actually easier than the late stages of ttc naturally. I don't like people poking and prodding but I feel that it may give me the chance to be a mum whereas I don't think ttc naturally will do anything for me now.
    Not really got any advice but can totally relate to how you are feeling.

3. I feel your frustration antoniou. My situation is a little different in that we know that both DH and I have problems and neither can be improved. Both frustrating situations but for different reasons.
    Like Becky I have lost count on which cycle we are on.
    Has anyone been tested for immunology issues? I 'm in Italy and they are pretty good at testing for this but when I had my first cycle of IVF in the UK it wasn't even mentioned.

4. lidlest

lidlest New commenter

It's actually a really slim window to get pregnant each month, took us ages and an extreme effort to have sex pretty much all the damn time. It actually got quite boring after a while.

5. I've never even heard of it! What is it?

6. It is quite complicated but is basically to do with problems in the immune system which cause the body to reject an embryo. I'm posting a link because I'm far from an expert on this!
    http://www.hfea.gov.uk/fertility-treatment-options-reproductive-immunology.html
    Another think I meant to ask those of who who have unexplained infertility is have you ever had your thyroid tested? If so, what was the result?
    Mine was tested in a routine check-up and my TSH came back as 3.5 which is considered normal BUT there are many opinions that state that for achieving and maintaining a healthy pregnancy the TSH should be between 1 and 2.
    I first found this out on another forum when someone posted that they could never get pregnant until their TSH was under 2. Apparently they are much more clued up about this in America and will offer a low dose of thyroid meds to women whose TSH level falls within normal range (usually considered to be up to 5.5) but not at an optimum level for conception and pregnancy.

7. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

I agree with Lidlest: ttc... YAWN! OH and I had a good chat (after another crying episode late at night on Thursday) and have decided that for us, it's sadly going to have to be explicit direction that sex is required! Next month it will almost be a case of putting it in the diary, otherwise other stuff comes up (not what should be! [​IMG]) or it's late at night and we're both tired and before you know it, we're into the LP with v little dtd.
    I feel your pain and frustration Antoniou! Hang in there kiddo - I'm sure we'll all get there in the end.

8. Oh, Jubilee, I've just had a look at my test results from last month and my TSH was 6.14![​IMG]
    I've been taking homeopathy for a month now, and will have another test done mid-August. This afternoon I'm alos going for an ultrasound of my thyroid.
    I hope this sorts itself out soon. I had the test done because I felt exhausted and had no energy. I also lack iron.

9. This is very interesting stuff Jubileebabe...
    My thyroid came up as slightly underactive on my day 21 bloods (can't remember exact number) but GP expressed concern that it could play a role in our absolute failure to concieve (my words, not his) and that under and over active thyroid is a worry in pregnancy.
    In my opinion, with everything that can go wrong and unexplained issues with concieving, I'm suprised that anyone gets pregnant at all! Especially those bloody people who 'fall' pregnant by 'accident' (oooh, sorry was I ranting?!)

10. Don't worry, when I found out that my result of 3.5 from Feb 2010 was too high I had it re-tested in April this year and it was 10.7! I was in such a panic but it came down very quickly with meds and isn't a problem now.
    Have you ever had your anti-thyroid antibodies checked? Mine were not checked until I was finally sent to an endocrinologist after the 10.7 result and that is when my immune issues were discovered.

11. I'm not sure whether it's the same thing but on my sheet it says:
    Anti-thyroglobuline antibodies 566.6 (normal levels should be under 115)
    Anti-thyroperoxydase antibodies 214 (should be under 34).

I had my ultrasound yesterday, which confirmed my hypothyroid as Hashimoto.
    I'll go back to my doctor's in the next couple of weeks and see what he says.
    Do you have to take medication for the rest of your life then, Jubilee?

Have you had your thyroid tested, Antoniou?

12. I could have written this antoniou!!! There's always a friend isn't there.....or a neighbour.....

13. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Would it not make more sense to get some real medicine? Not meaning to be rude but homeopathic remedies pretty much universally have no effect beyond placebo.

14. I beg to differ, Billy. Homeopathy has worked very well with reducing all my PMS. The results have been amazing, and the change almost took place overnight too!
    I guess it can work for some people, and I would definitely not rule it out before I've tried. And even if, as you say, it acts as a placebo, then what matters is the result you get. Placebo and nocebo effects can have an impact on one's body and health. That's been universally demonstrated too, hasn't it?
    I've only just discovered that I have an underactive thyroid, so I'm pretty much trying to get all the info I can about it now. In a couple of weeks 'time I'll have a second blood test done to see if anything has changed, and I'll take it from there.

15. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

It took us 11 months to conceive our baby which seemed like a lifetime. I was very low and anxious, as we were told it was nearly impossible to conceive naturally. I was anticipating many rounds of Clomid, perhaps IVF as well and was so distraught at the prospect. By some miracle it actually happened naturally and I did fall pregnant while I was about to start Clomid (OH had big problems with SA due to a hormone imbalance caused by a benign tumour, I have polycystic ovaries and rarely had periods or ovulated- neither of us knew this before TTC). I appreciate that many try for much longer than this and go through so much to try to have a baby.
    There's nothing anyone can say to take the frustration, anger, crushing diasppointment and bitterness away (at least that's how I felt). But it might help to know that other people feel and think similar things to you. Nobody expects to struggle to conceive and it's terribly isolating and distressing. Other people eg family members can be so insensitive, asking when you're planning to get pregnant etc and it's always hard to hear pregnancy news especially when it's happened quickly for them. Not their fault at all but it feels very unfair.
    If you think looking into natural remedies will make you feel more positive, then why not? Even if it is a placebo, acupuncture or homeopathy might help with stress relief. x

16. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

BTW I don'tknow much about unexplained subfertility, but I can imagine it must be harder in a way than when you know you have a problem, as there's no solution really, other than to keep trying. So sorry you're going through this. (((((())))))))

17. I dont know if this is of interest to anyone but I read an article in the times yesterday about how many men have sperm that lack a protein coating. I just googled it and there are loads of articles about it apparently they think it may be the cause of a lot of unexplained infertility because the sperm sample with current measures would appear normal.

18. I know exactly how you all feel. We tried for 8 years with different UK clinics. We almost went down the adoption route and then almost went down the "child free" lifestyle instead.
    We ended up giving up on the UK clinics and went abroad. Our twins were both in May this year.
    We found the support groups and information on the following website very useful during our difficult times...
    www.fertilityfriends.co.uk
    Daren.

19. Sorry should have said "born in Maythis year" :eek:)

20. Thank you all for your words of support. I'm hoping the holidays will mean I'm relaxed and will get pregnant. I'm also thinking of some acupuncture to help me relax aswell. Feel much better no school has finished (and its only been 2 hours!!!!)